Over-aged beer or malnourished yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c1377

Reaction score
It has been a while since I have been here.

I have noticed that the bottling process changes the flavour profile of my beer for the worse.

1 month primary
2 months secondary
1 month in the bottle

I know well the change in the flavour profile of the beer as it progresses from green to mature. The change in flavour profile between bottling and 1 one month of bottle conditioning is not similar to that of green beer maturing. Instead of maturing as the beer did the first 2 months the beer has developed a decidedly yeasty flavour.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I use priming sugar, and it has occured to me that perhaps there is not enough nourishment in the brew after the primary and secondary to promote healthy bottle conditioning...
It has also occured to me that i might be introducing too much oxygen to the beer during bottling.
I also brew with minimal hops, perhaps the beer just doesn't keep as long without a significant amount of hops and I should not rack quite so long in the secondary?

Should I perhaps be using DME and yeast nutrient instead of priming sugar or should I start thinking about force-carbonating my beer?

thanks,
PIP

Okay, I think a little more information will help.

1) recipe - incl hop qty, type, and addition times.

2) your process - esp. bottling

3) temps - fermentation

Many of us use priming sugar with no problems, so give us a little more and we'll try to help diagnose.

btw - oxygenation makes beer taste like wet cardboard (been there, done that!!!)

Hang Glider: I am not having problems. My beer is quite flavorful and tasty. HOWEVER it does have a decidedly more yeasty character than it did last month.

It has also occured to me that the higher pressure and CO2 levels might affect:
chemical equilibriums, yeast metabolism routes, and or the general stress level of the yeast.

has anyone else noticed that their beers mature differently in the bottle than in the primary/secondary fermenters?

Hang Glider: I am not having problems. My beer is quite flavorful and tasty. HOWEVER it does have a decidedly more yeasty character than it did last month.

It has also occured to me that the higher pressure and CO2 levels might affect:
chemical equilibriums, yeast metabolism routes, and or the general stress level of the yeast.

has anyone else noticed that their beers mature differently in the bottle than in the primary/secondary fermenters?

Certainly they do, but usually for the best.

I think the word "problem" does apply: you aren't getting the flavor you want during bottle conditioning. Give us some more info about your process and ingredients and we might can help.

May I ask why you do 1 month in primary followed by two months in secondary? That is serious over kill. I am a huge proponent of 1 month primaries, but their purpose is to negate the need for ANY secondary. If it's a "normal" grav beer that is way to much time.

But yes, we need more info on process, recipes etc.

Back