Liquid Malt Extract (LME) expiry date on can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainjay

Reaction score
Here's a question for those who've brewed more extract kits than I have... I was at my LHBS and bought a very cheap can of Cooper's Stout. It was on sale, when I turned over the can I saw the expiry was November '08. I mentioned this, but the person in the store said that date didn't really matter - as long as the can wasn't bulging (ie: the contents had begun to expand), it was okay.

I've always read than fresh is best for extract, but it was such a good deal I took the chance anyway.

So what does the expiry date on the can really mean? Did I buy a dud, or should I go ahead and give this batch a test?

Thanks,
Jay

I don't think it will be a dud, older extract gets dark in color but of course that wouldn't matter much with a stout. Could be a little twangy but may as well give it a shot.

Old or poorly handled LME is widely suspected of being the leading twang-producing agent.

I supposed you could use it to make starters which would have the spent wort decanted off, anyhow.

Just in the interest of science, I thought I'd follow up on this one...

I used the expired extract kit, it did not seem to be fermenting very well. After about three days I opened it up to pitch more yeast. Sure enough, there was a krausen on top, but I pitched the additional yeast anyway.

The beer turned out surprisingly good, we really enjoyed it (although Gunniess is safe :)). I think the dried yeast pack may not have been very good, but other than that, it was fine.

Jay

I picked up a carboy and some bottles on craigslist last night and the seller threw in a can of Munton's Export Stout for free. After getting it all home, I realized the expiration date was 5 years past!

Should I bother making this stuff? The can looks perfectly intact without any bulges, it was stored in his cool Minnesota basement, and it is a stout...

I've used a couple of cans that were a year past their best-before dates with no issues, but five years is a pretty long time... For the cost of a new can of Extract, and the effort involved in brewing, I think I would pass on that one.

If you do give it a shot, be sure to let us know how it went!

Jay

rraisedhaze, I've made a John Bull dark ale that was 2 years old (At least, when I made it they'd been out of business for 2 years.) and some Mr. Beer that was 5 years past. The beers turned out ok, nothing special. I guess as long as nothing's moving in the can, you should be okay.

Back