Chicago - Wrigley-ville?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Any cool bars or breweries in Chicago around Wrigleyville, besides Harry Carey's? I'm heading out there in a few weeks for my sister-in-laws grad school graduation.

I also want to hit up Ditka's since I'm a Bears fan.

Just got my Reds vs Cubs tickets in the mail! :rockin:

I'm a Sox fan that lived near that area for many years. Most of the bars in that part of town, the Cubby Bear, Yak-Zies, Murphy's Bleachers, etc., are woefully overrated. But the best place, IMHO, and must-stop for beer lovers, is Goose Island Wrigleyville. It is a few steps from Wrigley on Clark and the beer is better and, believe it or not, cheaper than all the other bars around the ballpark that sell primary BudMillerCoors in plastic cups.

There are no breweries that give tours in the city, AFAIK. But there are some great beer bars not too far from the park. Here's some links:

The Map Room
Hop Leaf
Piece Brewery and Pizzeria
Jak's Tap in the Loop
and if you want to hop the Metra Electric line and head to the south 'burbs, the best brewpub in the midwest, IMHO, Flossmoor Station.

A great place with a large beer selection is Sam's on Marcey St., just off of Clybourn St. near the original Goose Island.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hope that helps. I'm sure others will chime in with some places I've overlooked. Enjoy your trip![/FONT]

Go to goose island! Evey thing aroud there is swill, old pile, miller and bud. It gets insane after a game in that area. There is a good calm English pub restraunt about 1 block south of Wrigley on the east side of Clark. That is were I go after every game. But if you want a frat party feel then go just north on clark to Bernies. They have an outdoor area. If you need more info, I'm here.

Rhoobarb said:
and if you want to hop the Metra Electric line and head to the south 'burbs, the best brewpub in the midwest, IMHO, Flossmoor Station.

I live about a mile from Flossmoor station and they really do have great beer. (great burgers too) I totally love the pulman nutbrown they brew and really dug the Ironhorse stout but they hardly ever have that anymore.

MrSaLTy said:
I live about a mile from Flossmoor station and they really do have great beer. (great burgers too) I totally love the pulman nutbrown they brew and really dug the Ironhorse stout but they hardly ever have that anymore.
:off: Oh, man - we need to organize a meet there sometime.:mug: My girlfriend lives ~ 10 mins. from the place and we both love it. She made a friend of brewmaster Matt Van Wyk one night when she was there without me - he recalled her from the brewery tour we did there one Sunday - and got a free sample of nearly everything! We love the Gandy Dancer Honey Ale and even tried to brew a clone recently. Still too early to tell if we were close. The X-IPA is a hop lovers delight and another favorite! I check their BrewBlog regularly.

I have never been there when the brewers were there :( although I'm usually there only at night. I should take the tour though... I dodn't even know they had one..... I usually busy drinking the beer. :D

Rhoobarb said:
My girlfriend lives ~ 10 mins. from the place and we both love it. She made a friend of brewmaster Matt Van Wyk one night when she was there without me - he recalled her from the brewery tour we did there one Sunday ...

That doesn't happen to be your gf in your avatar, does it? No wonder Matt remembered her! ;)

skifast1 said:
That doesn't happen to be your gf in your avatar, does it? No wonder Matt remembered her! ;)
She is a natural blonde, and she is cute, but no, that ain't her.;) Their brewmaster, Matt, is usually there behind the bar in the evenings on Friday nights.

They give tours every last Sunday of the month. Here's the info. It's worth it for the free tasting. Matt pours something like 5 or 6 pitchers of brew, pours samples of each, then leaves the pitchers on the table for all to finish off! On our tour there were only 6 people of drinking age and two of them - an older couple - left the remaining pitchers with us. You do the math!;)

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread....... I'm heading down to Wrigley in a couple of weeks to see the Brewers crush the Chubs (hopefully) and hit a couple of spots in the process......I'll have to give Goose Island a visit. Any other ideas post them please I'm interested!

ablrbrau said:
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread....... I'm heading down to Wrigley in a couple of weeks to see the Brewers crush the Chubs (hopefully) and hit a couple of spots in the process......I'll have to give Goose Island a visit. Any other ideas post them please I'm interested!

Keep on dreaming. Go Cubs!

AHammer16 said:
Keep on dreaming. Go Cubs!

LOL you might be right.....I really thought this was going to be the Crew's year. It still could be, but they're going to have to get their heads out of their a**es and right the ship pretty soon. I really am glad they switched leagues, though, cause Cub fans are WAY more fun to give crap to than any in the American League. GOBREWERS!:tank:

ablrbrau said:
LOL you might be right.....I really thought this was going to be the Crew's year. It still could be, but they're going to have to get their heads out of their a**es and right the ship pretty soon. I really am glad they switched leagues, though, cause Cub fans are WAY more fun to give crap to than any in the American League. GOBREWERS!:tank:

Yeah, but with Kerry "Spliters" Wood, Mark Prior and now D. Lee on the D.L., our chances of a winning season are about the same as the chances that Sosa WASN'T juicing when he hit all those runs.

Cheesefood said:
Yeah, but with Kerry "Spliters" Wood, Mark Prior and now D. Lee on the D.L., our chances of a winning season are about the same as the chances that Sosa WASN'T juicing when he hit all those runs.

Lol don't forget to add Barry "the D***head" Bonds to that ever-growing list.......:mad:

Just got ticket for a brewers vs cubs game up in milwaukee. Party time!!!!. Love tailgating at that park! Lotz o' Pissers!!

AHammer16 said:
Just got ticket for a brewers vs cubs game up in milwaukee. Party time!!!!. Love tailgating at that park! Lotz o' Pissers!!

Which game? I'm going to be in Milwaukee on July 8th (is that the Sat night?) to watch the Cubs make Miller Lite out of the Brewers.

Cheesefood said:
Which game? I'm going to be in Milwaukee on July 8th (is that the Sat night?) to watch the Cubs make Miller Lite out of the Brewers.

Cheese, you ever go to summerfest? ends July 9th. I'd try and sneak an extra day/night in for that if your into music etc.

desertBrew said:
Cheese, you ever go to summerfest? ends July 9th. I'd try and sneak an extra day/night in for that if your into music etc.
Summerfest rocks!:rockin: Literally! :D Way better than Taste of Chicago, for my money. Haven't been in years. When I went, it was usually on a Saturday. I'd get there early and spend the day, but get the hell outta there before nightfall - it just gets too darn crowded!

Rhoobarb said:
Summerfest rocks!:rockin: Literally! :D Way better than Taste of Chicago, for my money. Haven't been in years. When I went, it was usually on a Saturday. I'd get there early and spend the day, but get the hell outta there before nightfall - it just gets too darn crowded!

It's been 10+ years since I've been there too. Last time I went was on July 4th (Big Mistake). Left at midnight and didn't get home until 4a because of traffic. Seeing Cheese is 30 he'd probably have fun, I'm getting too old for nights at Summerfest as well :). Or at least get a hotel downtown that you can crawl to.

desertBrew said:
It's been 10+ years since I've been there ...
That's about how long it's been for me! Each year I think about going, but haven't.

This year, I think I'll break that streak and actually take my girlfriend to Summerfest. I don't think she's ever been. After dark, maybe head over to the Milwaukee Ale House or the Water Street Brewery. Was in Beertown last Winter and stumbled upon the WSB while on our way to the MAH! I think I preferred it to the MAH!

To get back on-topic, HurricaneFloyd and/or ablrbrau, where did you end up visiting when you were in Chicago?

desertBrew said:

Yeah, it's Country Night when we're there. Booo. We are going to walk around the Water street area and hit up as many bars as we can before passing out.

Rhoobarb said:
That's about how long it's been for me! Each year I think about going, but haven't.

This year, I think I'll break that streak and actually take my girlfriend to Summerfest. I don't think she's ever been. After dark, maybe head over to the Milwaukee Ale House or the Water Street Brewery. Was in Beertown last Winter and stumbled upon the WSB while on our way to the MAH! I think I preferred it to the MAH!

To get back on-topic, HurricaneFloyd and/or ablrbrau, where did you end up visiting when you were in Chicago?

Haven't been there yet-going tomorrow. We are meeting friends at the Cubby Bear before the game then afterwards we might go to Goose Island-lookin forward to it! Even though I'll be the only Brewer fan in the bunch.:( Not too optimistic about the game though- Doug Davis is pitching for the Crew and he's been getting shelled this year. No matter I'm gonna have a blast no matter what.:ban: :ban:

ablrbrau said:
... We are meeting friends at the Cubby Bear before the game then afterwards we might go to Goose Island-lookin forward to it! ...
Try and get your friends and you out of the Cubby Bear as quick as you can!;) :D Just because you are a tourist doesn't mean you have to drink like one! :p Goose Island is practically across the street. Cross Clark St. and go south (left) a couple of doors. You'll be glad you did!:mug:

I'll do that- they're big Cub fans and they just want to go onto the 2nd floor and stare at the big Wrigley sign. I'll let them have their fun and then start pushing them out the door!

P.S. Yeah Cheese I know- I watched it on FSN. I fully expect a repeat tomorrow with Davis and Rusch pitching. Davis can't find the zone and no matter how bad Rusch is( and he SUCKS that 's why the crew got rid of him) the Crew can't hit him.

ablrbrau said:
I'll do that- they're big Cub fans and they just want to go onto the 2nd floor and stare at the big Wrigley sign. I'll let them have their fun and then start pushing them out the door!

P.S. Yeah Cheese I know- I watched it on FSN. I fully expect a repeat tomorrow with Davis and Rusch pitching. Davis can't find the zone and no matter how bad Rusch is( and he SUCKS that 's why the crew got rid of him) the Crew can't hit him.

Don't underestimate Rusch. He seems bad, but in reality he sucks way the hell more than you can ever imagine. What can we say though, he's there to replace a guy (Wood) who spends more time on the bench than the varnish.

ablrbrau said:
I'll do that- they're big Cub fans ...
That's truly sad.;) Someday, the rest of Chicago will come around and realize The White Sox won the World Series... hello!...;) :D

Reminds me of a joke I recently heard:

A popular bar had a new robotic bartender installed. A fellow came in for a drink and the robot asked him,"What's your IQ?"

The man replied, "150."

So, the robot proceeded to make conversation about Quantum physics, string theory, atomic chemistry, and so on. The man listened intently and thought, "This is really cool."

So, the man decided to test the robot! He walked out of the bar, turned
around, and came back in for another drink. Again, the robot asked him, "What's your IQ?"

The man responded, "100."

So, the robot started talking about football, baseball, SI swimsuit models, sensual topics and so on. The man thought to himself, "Wow, this is really cool." So, the man went out and came back in a third time.

As before, the robot asked him, "What's your IQ?"

The man replied, "Ummm... I think, 50... maybe."

The robot said, "So... how 'bout them Cubs?!

Rhoobarb said:

As before, the robot asked him, "What's your IQ?"

The man replied, "Ummm... I think, 50... maybe."

The robot said, "So... how 'bout them Cubs?!

Come on, we all know that joke started in the opposite direction.

Cheesefood said:
Don't underestimate Rusch. He seems bad, but in reality he sucks way the hell more than you can ever imagine. What can we say though, he's there to replace a guy (Wood) who spends more time on the bench than the varnish.

Told ya. 16-2. We sucked.

Sitting.

In the rain.

Watching the Cubs get shellacked. Hopefully, you were able to make it over to Goose when the game was over. Which, IIRC, was about the middle of the 4th inning!;)

Fortunately, the Sox and the Bulls won!

Rhoobarb said:
Sitting.

In the rain.

Watching the Cubs get shellacked. Hopefully, you were able to make it over to Goose when the game was over. Which, IIRC, was about the middle of the 4th inning!;)

I had skybox tickets to yesterday's game, but the rain and cold wind made me decide that it was more fun to watch the game on my couch.

Rhoobarb said:
Sitting.

In the rain.

Not going to rub it in, cuz that'd come back to haunt me; just gonna enjoy it for now......

Went to several bars after the game, & ate at Goose Island. I sampled three of their brews:
IPA -just to remind myself why I don't like that style
Nut Brown- Very good, but I actually think my own is better:)
Kolsch-that one was to die for:rockin:

Gotta tell you a little story about the game. I actually found myself surrounded by quite a few fellow Brewer fans, and in between high-fives we got to talking about the beer served at Wrigley. A guy behind be says that he hates it but then again he's a beer snob because he's a brewmaster. I took that to mean he was a homebrewer. Nope-turns out he's the head brewmaster at Water Street Brewing Company in Milwaukee. That was cool. You Milwaukee guys probably know the place well, but I'd never heard of it. We made a point to stop there on the way home for Sunday brunch. I have to say- they have Goose Island beat by a mile and then some. The food was better, the beer was better (except for the Kolsch, they didn't have one) and about half the price. And the atmosphere was incredible. There were trophy-type cases all over the place with beer cans from every time and place imaginable, and just a more beautiful decor. It was just an unexpected surprise for the end of the weekend. I had a blast- and I remember most of it!;)

ablrbrau said:
...turns out he's the head brewmaster at Water Street Brewing Company in Milwaukee. ...
Yeah, that's the place my friends and I 'accidently' found our last time up there. Great place; we all brought growlers back with us!

Goose makes a great Kolsch and I like their IPA, but I love IPAs! I try to make a point of going there in the fall for their Oktoberfest. It's better on tap than bottled, IMHO. Sounds like you had a good time, despite the rain. :)

Cheesefood said:

I'm going to the friday game on the 7TH.

Went to Wrigley last night for a Cubs game, so of course I stopped at Goose Island for a couple pints:

1. Summertime Kolsch Bier: Absolutely delicious. Light and refreshing. A great Summer Sipper.

2. 18 yr ESB: Holy Hopped Malt, mash-man! My first taste was "Mmm...malty. No, wait...Hoppy. Nope, there's the malt again!" A delicious dance of heavy hops and thick malt. Not something to chug, but it would do wonders for pushing down some steak.

3. Conan the Red (Cask Conditioned). Amazingly low FG for a beer so red in color. I was surprised at how light it felt in my mouth. Thick, dense and creamy head. Had they not been so busy, I would have picked the bartender's brain about the brew.

4. Matilda Belgian (Farmstyle?) (sample only): I wanted one, but I had to drive home so I had a sample. Touted as a highly hopped Belgian style, this was a lot like the ESB with less malt and a more colorful pallet resulting from the Belgian yeast.

Had I time, I would have sampled the Pivo and the Rotweizen. A lot of people were drinking the 312 Wheat, but that's easily obtainable from any grocery or liquor store. I wanted the private reserve stuff. Mmmm...

And, to top it all off, the Cubs won! My son got to see his first game at Wrigley, and it was a 4-0 shutout.

Cheesefood said:
Went to Wrigley last night for a Cubs game, so of course I stopped at Goose Island for a couple pints:

1. Summertime Kolsch Bier: Absolutely delicious. Light and refreshing. A great Summer Sipper.

Yea, that was my fav when I went there-it was awesome!

Cheesefood said:
And, to top it all off, the Cubs won! My son got to see his first game at Wrigley, and it was a 4-0 shutout.
Will wonders never cease?;)

Cheesefood said:
...Conan the Red (Cask Conditioned). Amazingly low FG for a beer so red in color. I was surprised at how light it felt in my mouth. Thick, dense and creamy head. Had they not been so busy, I would have picked the bartender's brain about the brew....
This was the brew they supposedly made to honor Conan the Talk Show Host's recent visit. They did a small segment about it on one of the shows he did here last week. They taped a visit to Goose and sampled some of this brew.

Soon, their Oktoberfest will be on tap; it's one of my favorites! It's always ready toward the middle of the baseball season. That's the regular baseball season, not to be confused with the Cubs' season - which is already over!;)

I'm off to Boston today and then Chicago on Monday!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm po'd that Derek Lee is still hurt. He is one of my favorite players in all of MLB.

Got back from Chicago yesterday and it was a good time. Goose Island IPA is awesome! Never made it to the Goose Island bar but made plenty of purchases at the liquor store on the corner. I tried the IPA, the 312 Urban Wheat, and we also got a keg of the Honker's Ale which was good. Also got to try my first and probably laste tastes of Old Style at a Cubs game.
The only bars I made it to were the Twisted Spoke, Redmonds, and Waterhouse. I did go to a great steakhouse called Wildfire.

Back