Smaller volume starter kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bureau13

Reaction score
Hi,

About ten years ago I was given a Mr. Beer starter kit and made a couple batches of something. However, to me it just never tasted quite right. It may have been something I did, but I guess I just don't trust the canned mixes at this point...but I am definitely getting the itch to try a "real" kit that is expandable, etc. However...most of the starter kits I've seen are set up for 5 gallon brews. People tell me I'm going to want multiple batches going at once, and I can see that...but that could be a LOT of beer to drink, and its likely just going to be me drinking it. Eek. Are there any kits like the Northern Brewer or Midwest Homebrew starter kits that have smaller volumes?

TIA,
jds

just because other people (like me) can't stop brewing more than they can consume doesn't mean you'll fall prey.

my biggest problem is all my friends moved 520 miles away (work related) and swmbo doesn't drink much beer. so for one guy trying not to gain 5lbs a month, 2 cases takes a bit of time to drain.

get the 5 gallon kit. you can always pickup a 3gallon carboy later, and do smaller batches. its less payoff for the work, but if you're like me and just enjoy the brewing process, you don't mind the smaller all grain, stove top batches. its cheaper for experimenting with different recipes at least.

Back