Mash schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Is there any available research on the optimum mash temperatures for the various gluten-free grains? I've been reading a lot lately about the steps used in mashing barley. But it occurred to me that buckwheat, millet, teff, and other gluten-free grains do not have the same enzymes as barley. Nor do they necessarily need certain steps. It's also possible they might benefit from other steps that are irrelevant to barley. But I haven't found any helpful information.

I did find this article about buckwheat. I can't access the full paper though. So I don't know if they go into more detail. It says in the abstract that the steps they list are to optimize the efficiency. But they don't say what the individual rests are supposed to do or how altering them might affect the wort. It would be nice to know how to alter the rests to get more/less body or different flavors.

I can access the paper no problem. In fact, I have read it a few times before. Do you have adobe PDF viewer?

Its interesting information. It doesn't really apply to homebrewing. That study was done under laboratory conditions with a very fine grind. The finer the grind, the lower the gelatinization temperature. The wiley library has a few other papers on millet and quinoa.

I use a single infusion on my millet brews. Other grains benefit from a protein rest. Sparging is always going to be a problem. Read the mashing page on the wiki. It explains the process pretty well. The enzymes work the same way in gluten free brewing.

For whatever reason, my pdf viewer would only open the first page of the file.

I hadn't expected the enzymes to be the same with the gluten-free grains as with barley. Interesting.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject the past few days. I'm trying to get a firm grip on the science so I can design my own schedule. Since I'm wanting the brew as basically an adjunct for my meads I'm not looking to achieve quite the same results that brewers seek. That makes it difficult to ask for advice on the matter.

Back