IIPA Water Adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog House Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my starting profile. I've been doing total replacement for light beers and I'm brewing an 13 gallon batch of IIPA with a SRM of 8.6. I would like to do a dilution to keep some minerals. How much would you dilute, or would you start with total RO and build?

pH 7.6
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 337
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.56
Cations / Anions, me/L 5.7 / 5.6
ppm
Sodium, Na 31
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 61
Magnesium, Mg 15
Total Hardness, CaCO3 215
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 25
Chloride, Cl 42
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 169
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 139

With a 75% dilution with distilled and adding Gypsum. Here is my finished water. Does this look like something that would fit the bill?
Would you add something or change dilution % Thanks I'm trying to get this water stuff.

Ca-51 Mg-10 Na-29 SO4-140 Cl-43 HCO3-49

I typically use "Bru'n water" program. It is extremely useful and pretty accurate as well. Not to mention it's free.

That tap water should be fine for a DIPA excepting that the alkalinity might need a little neutralization. A little acid will solve that problem. Bru'n Water will tell you how much.

I got it Martin. Thanks for the water software. IMHO it's the best out there. After a few more adjustments in the program it got me to the right ph numbers and sparge acid adjustments.

Thanks again

Back