What size voltage adapter for cooling fan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poislb

Reaction score
I wanna install a cpu (computer fan) in my ferm freezer. I wanna just be able to plug it in and i have tons of adapters laying around, but what size (voltage) wall adapter do I need to run it without blowing anything out.

Fan specs:
Voltage range-10.2-13.8VDC
Rated currect-160mA
Rated power-1.92W max@ rated voltage

Thanks in advance

You need one that somewhat closely matches that voltage, is DC, and can deliver at least that much current, preferably a bit more. Way more current isn't necessarily good in this regard because many wall warts are not regulated and if the load on the wall wart (the current) is way less than its capacity, the voltage output may not sag down to near the specified value, remaining higher than expected.. Granted, unless it's grossly high it probably won't hurt a fan too much other than it running faster.

So if I run a AC adapter that has a class 2 transformer and has an output of 12DC 200mA it would blow out the fan or burn it up? Would a 9v adapter suit the fan better and have a longer life expectiancy? Thanks

Or would I be okay with the 12v adapter mentioned above?

The 12vdc 200mA adapter would likely be fine. Some fans will tolerate a lower voltage and just spin more slowly, but I've also seen ones that act really funny on too low a voltage, like they turn on and off every couple seconds for some reason.

A 12VDC 200mA wall wart would be near perfect as you'd get without purpose building one.

Back