Yankee Enginuity IV- Fall Foliage Session 2007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest we go and kidnap him instead. At least then we can assure ourselves of good beer. If this is in fact reality, it would be great to have a head count for those staying overnight.....me being so responisible and all.
oh...and the pig......would you kill it already so we can make some beer together.

so what do you folks usually bring to these gatherings anyway?

Do you all bring your whole setup or do you scale back and do extract? How does it work having that many brews going at once? Trying to figure out what I will bring/brew
:confused:

knights of Gambrinus said:
so what do you folks usually bring to these gatherings anyway?

Do you all bring your whole setup or do you scale back and do extract? How does it work having that many brews going at once? Trying to figure out what I will bring/brew
:confused:

Bring your whole setup, propane, burner, MLT, etc. You will be out of your domain so maybe do an easy beer like a pale ale or sumpin. On the other hand there are several experienced brewers there so maybe a more complex beer can be done... Decisions, decisions. One thing I would recommend is using dry yeast or the yeast Dean provides. It is from the brewery down the road and you can get half a mason jar of it. Yum!

Well, for everyone, it's a little bit different. My setup is completely portable. I'll be bringing a couple burners (gonna buy a second one for the decoction, so I can keep heating sparge water at the same time). I'll have my mash tun, keggle, and wort chiller. I'll bring a spare hose to hook up my chiller, and if I can put my hands on it, I've got a four-way splitter for the outside faucet.

2nd Street also had the brilliant idea last time of bringing this portable workbench; I've got something similar that I use as well, so that I can keep all my stuff together and to make it easier to drain the mash tun.

Nothing says you can't scale back and go extract, though. You're welcome to borrow my chiller, or any of my other gear, if I'm done before you. I'm hoping to be done early so I can relax.

BTW - I've got a bottle of Russian River's Santification to bring and share. This beer is 100% fermented with Brettanomyces, so I'm really, REALLY interested in seeing how it tastes.

Here are the players for Saturday:
The_bird
Vermicous
Knights of Gambrinus
2nd Street
Hippie
Evanmars
rhag1128

Is anyone else in?
Bird- see about bringing that 4-way for the water.
Hippie- bring those burners even if you aren't brewing.
Bring some garden hose if you have it. I have 3 sections of 20-50 feet to spare.

I have a couch to send to the dump, so maybe I'll go ghetto and set it up in the backyard for a place to sit before I send it on it's way.:eek:

the_bird said:
Oh, and don't forget to bring the homebrew! Nothing starts the day off better than a Russian Imperial Stout!
I'll provide the Russian Imperial Stout. I have some aging from earlier this summer. I'll also have some Simcoe Pale ale on tap, and possibly my Imperial IPA if I don't finish it off this week.

I'm definitely going to be firing up the grill in the backyard, but I'm on the fence as to make pizza or just burgers, and dogs & bbq.
Any volunteers to bring a green salad, and chips, and salsa?

I just PMd bird but I'll post here too. I won't be making this weekend. Had minor procedure done on my leg and it isn't too comfortable sitting, and no, not hemeroids, little lower on the leg.

enjoy, I'll hoist one in your direction on Saturday
:mug:

I 'll bring some food. Not sure what yet. The only homebrew i have right now is Apfelwein, I can bring a few bottles of that if folks want, otherwise I could pick up some commercial stuff.

What is everyone planning on brewing? I guess I'll keep it simple and brew a 3rd batch of APA. I was thinking cal. common, but then I would have to lug a starter along. Same with scottish, or maybe I could use dry nottingham for a scottish. hmmmm.

Do the folks driving a few hours (like me) pitch there or wait 'til you get home?

Sorry for all the questions, I'll try and relax some... :D

where in Southern VT are you going to be? I'll be in Rutland.

I would love to attend ... down to my last 3 bombers of brown ale which is getting better every day ...

I wish I had more to contribute -- suggestions ??

I am coming from Windham ... can someone please PM me with directions, time etc ?

Weather looks good as well...

Alright I think I PM'd everyone with directions whether you needed them or not.
Vermicous- try not to get lost on your way here.
Todd- You are not that far away. 1.55 hours max
I'm still working on the time line.
As it stands, as long as you all mash in by 11:00 am we should be fine. I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces, and meeting some new ones.

I'll try to make it but no guarantees here! I'm not sure what the plan is for Saturday since the wedding is Friday.

If you need yeast for your brew this weekend, I have access to super fresh 1056 American ale yeast. Please let me know by 5pm on Thursday so I can make arrangements and have adequate vessels for transport.

Folks have been asking about the timeline/schedule....
mash in by 11:00 am
Feel free to come as early as 7:30-8:00am if you like

I'll probably fire the grill up around 11:30

Brewery tours while the wort is chilling, or after clean-up. I'm flexiible.

The babysitting plans fell through and now I have to be back in Dover by 6 pm. Consequently, I am going to have to bail on joining you. Have fun all and thanks to Glibbidy for his past and future hospitality.

I checked the map and Rutland looks like it's about 1/2 way between Burlington and Brattleboro so unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. Brattleboro is in the opposite direction. Have fun this weekend!

Hey Glibbidy,

What happens to those of us from farther away who may "accidently" end up over-indulging? Is there a place to set up a tent around? Not that ever happens... ;)

I don't USUALLY end up on your floor, only OCCASIONALLY:ban:

Slanderous remarks like that could make me a rich man:mug:

and, FWIW, I'll be the snorer in the corner

Hippie said:
I don't USUALLY end up on your floor, only OCCASIONALLY:ban:

Slanderous remarks like that could make me a rich man:mug:

and, FWIW, I'll be the snorer in the corner

Alright....only 50% of the time he has ended up on the floor:drunk:

Glibbidy said:
We got plenty of space. Bring your tent if you like.
Hippie usually ends up on the floor in my living room.

Sounds good. I just did not want to assume/impose. You are a most gracious host! :)

Aw, crap! Problems at work may keep me from making it tomorrow. Got a machine down, may need to be here to work on getting it going again.

I may or may not be able to make it, it doesn't look promising. :( :( :(

Either way we'll be at my house making beer. You could always stop by for a visit even if you are not brewing.

the_bird said:
Did he even make it upstairs last time, or did he just pass out in the basement?
a few weeks back he was out cold on the living room floor.

I picked up the yeast for Saturday. There should be plenty to go around.

DSCN2079_1_5_1.JPG

I'm going to have to ask someone a really, REALLY stupid favor.

I'm all out of airlocks (have a few in service, gave one away, and I'm missing a piece on a fourth). I'm hoping and trusting that SOMEONE will have a spare they can lend.... :D

the_bird said:
I've historically been a three-piece man, but it really doesn't matter... ;)

Thanks!

Two piece, three piece....

Too many pieces!!!

Wait, they're multiplying! Stop jumping up and down damnit! :drunk:

12:17pm 10/06/07

Hippie, Knights of Gambrinus and Glibbidy still drinking and BSing!

Latest posts

Back