Sodium Metabisulfate in kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
I just heard today that Sodium Metabisulfate is bad for kegs.

Well, before I heard that I sanitized my first keg with the stuff (it was a few weeks ago). It was a relatively weak solution and I shook it up, let it sit for about 15 minutes or so, shook it again, then flushed it very thoroughly with clean water.

I can't see any physical signs of damage or corrosion inside the keg, but I was still worrying that I may have done some damage.

Any cause for concern here or should it be ok?

Thanks!

Nick

A quick application like you did shouldn't have hurt anything. Long term exposure may cause corrosion. I wouldn't worry anymore about it.

A quick application like you did shouldn't have hurt anything. Long term exposure may cause corrosion. I wouldn't worry anymore about it.

+1 to that. It would take a longer period of time to see damage.

Before I read about not using it on kegs I did the same all the time (it works so well to clean grungy kegs). Once I forgot to dump one out and it sat full of solution for a week. No visible damage. That was a couple of years ago and the keg still looks/works fine. Don't worry too much.

Back