Sierra Nevada Estate Ale first year release.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin_the_goods

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this yet?

I bought a bottle last week as a house warming present to myself when I move next week. I don't know if this bottle will survive for another 9 days, but at $7.84 for a 24oz. bottle I'm going to try to make it.

Has anyone tried this yet?

I bought a bottle last week as a house warming present to myself when I move next week. I don't know if this bottle will survive for another 9 days, but at $7.84 for a 24oz. bottle I'm going to try to make it.

Where did you get it for 7.84? I paid $11 after tax and stupid CRV.

P.S. I haven't opened mine either, waiting for some sort of special occasion.

I had one a while back as well. Nothing in particular stood out for me, besides the fact that everything in the beer is estate grown...

Oh! Boo-hoo! You had to pay $11 instead of $7.84.

Some of us live in states where you can ONLY buy beer buy the case.

Where did you get it for 7.84? I paid $11 after tax and stupid CRV.

P.S. I haven't opened mine either, waiting for some sort of special occasion.

My state liquor store. They used to only carry SN PA, Stout and Porter. I talked to them a few months ago and now we get the Torpedo IPA, which I was super stoked about cause we don't have any good IPA's here.

Oh! Boo-hoo! You had to pay $11 instead of $7.84.

Some of us live in states where you can ONLY buy beer buy the case.

I was at a pizza place in Media today and they had single bottles of the Estate and the normal Harvest Ale. Estate is $8 and the Harvest is $5.

I had it a few weeks ago. I was really impressed with it, albeit, Im no beer judge. I remember liking the citrusy and piney flavors...it made me think of sneaking some pine needles into a 1 gallon secondary to see what the results would be as a cheaper alternative.
-jefe-

I wouldn't recommend sitting on it for a special occaision. The beer is brewed with lots of fresh hops grown on premise at Sierra Nevada. The flavors are delicate, and fade with time. The fresher the better on this one.

I had a couple a little while back that I got from a swap with HBT member TwoHeadsBrewing. The hops are remarkably balanced with the malt, much the same as they were in the Southern Hemisphere Fresh Hop Ale Sierra Nevada did several months earlier. I was perhaps expecting a bit more hop presence, but I wouldn't say I was disappointed. I could drink that stuff all day for sure. Very tasty.

Drink it now! Seriously :mug:

I grew up in Chico w/ Sierra.

We drove up to see friends last week and stopped in to have dinner and enjoyed the special stuff they had on draft. Celebration...mmmmm...yummy.

Yep, it is $9.99 plus tax and CRV gets to exactly $11.

This is at Bevmo of course where they require you to walk in backwards with your pants down in preparation.

GF bought me a bomber of it last weekend. It was kinda meh.
She had it on tap at the brewery a few weeks ago and she thought the same thing. She prefers hoppy red ales to IPAs, but she loves SN's other offerings.
I'm gonna attribute it to not having worked all the bugs out yet. Same reason you never buy a new model or redesigned car until the 2nd year of production.
I'm hoping the next run will be better.
Fortunately, there's still Torpedo and PA. :)

So I don't see much talk about this years SN Anniversary ale (IPA) which is fantastic IMO. What's up with that? I think I am up to 4- 6 packs of the stuff now.

What's this anniversary ale? I only get the Torpedo, PA, Porter, and Stout. Also we just got the Estate Ale........I'm missing out on good SN's!!! We occasionally get the Seasonals though too, I'll quit bitchin now.

I've had the anniversary ale.. not a fan of it.

You know it's weird, I really don't like the sierra nevada PA. I remember having it 10 years ago, didn't like it..
I tried it again a couple months ago now that I'm a homebrewer and have come to love just about any and all IPA's and PA's.
But I still don't like SNPA..

HOWEVER, I LOVE the TORPEDO! I'm so glad spec's (houston liquor store) started carrying it. I've gone through 3-4 six packs in about 2 months.

I'll have to try this estate deal.

And $7 for a bomber? hah I pay $10-$13 for bombers all the time. affligem trippels, st. bernadus abt 12's.. etc..

So I don't see much talk about this years SN Anniversary ale (IPA) which is fantastic IMO. What's up with that? I think I am up to 4- 6 packs of the stuff now.

I had bought a case. i have 4 left I think. I agree it was very good. I thought the Torpedo kind of smelled like baby poop, but still drank it and it was bad. Just couldn't get baby poop out of the back of my mind.

Are you certain it was this years anniversary? You know they change it every year right? I didn't like last years either.
well i just got it 2-3 weeks ago.. i'd imagine it's not last years.

back on topic
Ok i'm a dumba$$

i just realize i've had their estate beer! that was excellent.. i just went to their website and saw the bottle and vividly remember having it, it was only about a month ago.. actually right now the bottle has some of my fat tire clone in it:) I remember it being 24, most bombers are 22.

edit..actually i think i had the southern hemisphere harvest.. i remember the story.. and thinking, dang i'm drinking a beer with hops from new zealand!

I also had mine last night, just couldn't hang on to it any longer. I highly recommend trying it if you haven't, it has a nice piny citrus start with a great hop finish. The best way to describe it is it has a SN PA start with an IPA finish, yet the hops aren't overbearing at all. It's definitely a lip smacker.:mug:

Latest posts

Back