when is it okay to use a clear bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
Is there any good time to use a clear bottle?

Complete Joy spoke about a time when it was ok to use clear bottles. His story described how a certain popular Mexican brewery exposes their beer to sunlight. And when cloning it it was recommended to put in direct light for 15 min to get that taste just like the original in the popular Mexican beers (corona i assume).

From what I have been reading (here on the HBT) it is not a good idea to bottle in anything but brown?

I have a new castle clone in my primary, that also will be my first bottled, and "was" planning on using new castle bottles (which I have a bunch of and they are clear). But I have read on here that its not such a good idea.

Is by new castle clone ok to go into clear? or should I go to brown?
Would apfelwein be ok in clear?

The reason to not use clear bottles it to protect your beer from light. However, if you store you beer in cases in a closet, for example, or like me, in a basement with no direct light, clear bottles are fine! I use some clear bottles for my white wines and still keep them out of the light.

Beer skunks due to the hops oils which wines don't have, but wines and ciders can change color when exposed to direct sunlight. So, if you keep your apfelwein and beer out of the light, you can use any bottle you'd like!

there is nothing wrong with clear bottles at all. Just keep the brew out of the light during storage. I stack mine in the corner and put an old beach towel over it. Besides, Corona bottles are much easier to come by, especially if you meet a nice bartender to save them for you.

yep, just keep them in the dark. carboy's are clear too, and t-shirts are a great way to keep them dark/blocked from UV exposure. I find a men's size Medium works well.

i have some clear glass bottles...I like to use them for mead, since that tends to sit in a box in the dark for months on end to age.

Just to beat the dead horse one more time, every time I bottle a batch I tend to use 1-4 clear glass bottles. It lets me know how clear the rest of the (brown) bottles should be...

FWIW I have no use for green glass, but I am sure somebody has one good reason. Goes with Xmas decorations maybe.

i have clear, brown and green bottles. if you are getting them from other people its nice because you can see if there is anything on the inside. every bottle i drink i wash our right away, but i doubt my family/friends do that with theirs.

like everyone else said above, my bottles stay in dark places, the only time they see light is while bottling (not that long), and moving them to the frig and drinking them. not that much time in light really.

what i think could hurt clear bottles is sitting out inthe open on a shelf, then its probably bad.

Back