A little help for a first timer please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taffy100

Reaction score
Hi there, I am about to attempt a batch of apple and feijoa blend wine. After peeling chopping and freezing I have about 28.6lbs of fruit ready to go into the primary fermentor. I am just unsure how much water and sugar I should be adding for that much fruit. I can't seem to find a recipe that seems right. Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Hi there, I am about to attempt a batch of apple and feijoa blend wine. After peeling chopping and freezing I have about 28.6lbs of fruit ready to go into the primary fermentor. I am just unsure how much water and sugar I should be adding for that much fruit. I can't seem to find a recipe that seems right. Any help would be much appreciated! :)

I don't know what feijoa is- but I can give some general instructions. Generally, for apples I use 6 pounds per gallon of wine. So, 6 pounds of fruit per gallon of wine. You've got nearly 30 pounds of fruit, so I'd make 5 (US) gallons of wine. Mix it all up, and you'll use enough sugar to get to 1.090-1.100 for the OG. That is probably around 1.5 pounds/gallon, but you can start with less and add more sugar if you need it to get the OG in that range.

Many thanks for your help. Have done as advised and will update on result. Feijoas are native to New Zealand a unique and delicious fruit, so fingers crossed!

Just a little up date. The apple and feijoa is looking very promising, and have since been inspired to try some other recipes, so have 45 litres of Mandarin and 45 litres f kiwi fruit fermenting away. Happy days :) Thanks for the advice!

Wicked! how far in are you?? I've got mine down too. what recipe did you use for the feijoas?

the kiwifruit one sounds interesting!!
Let us know how they all turn out.

Back