Fruit Beer Requiem Raspberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MichaelsBrewing said:
Not sure I have heard of it or the process... enlighten me? :D

Once the beer is ready for bottling it you taste it and if its too tart you can sweeten it to taste with lactose. Lactose doesn't ferment so you can sweeten your beer without worring about beer bombs. :)

I brewed this today woohoo! I did the steep at 152°F and sparged at 170°F and ended up with an OG of 1.064, rocket fuel! I pitched with Muntons instead of Notty. I set up a blow-off because I know I've got a bomb in there :D.

So I pitched yesterday at 3:30 pm, went to work and got home today at 6 am and the krausen blew off the rubber stopper despite the fact I had a blow-off in it! :eek: I have a pic but I don't know how to attach it.:confused:

So I pitched yesterday at 3:30 pm, went to work and got home today at 6 am and the krausen blew off the rubber stopper despite the fact I had a blow-off in it! :eek: I have a pic but I don't know how to attach it.:confused:

Oooh I wanna see, I wanna see!!!!

You have to upload a picture... click "My Gallery"

After it is posted then you just paste in the code that it shows in the details below the picture....

good luck :mug:

Oooh I wanna see, I wanna see!!!!

You have to upload a picture... click "My Gallery"

After it is posted then you just paste in the code that it shows in the details below the picture....

good luck :mug:

I just paid the membership fee for you! And I also wanted to sponsor this awesome site ;)

Here it is!
2914-blowoff.jpg
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/members/xcorpia/albums/requiem-raspberry/2914-blowoff.jpg

Is this recipe for a Full Boil or Partial Boil??? I would like to do it as a partial boil, do I need to change the hop amounts?

Cheers

I finally bottled mine today. It smells and tastes awesome! I added 6 oz lactose to sweeten it up a bit. Let's see how it tastes when it's carbed :D

Here's an AG version.

Recipe: Requiem Blackberry
Brewer: Jacob
Asst Brewer:
Style: Fruit Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) Add

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 10.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.32 %
0.80 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.31 %
0.15 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.37 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (25 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (7 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
2.50 lb Raspberry (Secondary 2.0 weeks) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Hopping is a bit different, but IBU's are the same.

What temp did you mash at?

I brewed this up last month. Been drinking it steadily. I only made 1 modification to the recipe. I used 2 lbs of raspberries and 10 oz of cherries to keep it from being to sour. The outcome was fantastic. This is a great beer without being over the top sweet or sour.

both fruits were organic and frozen. After thawing, I just tossed them right into the secondary and let it roll for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the recipe!

Made this recently, came out fantastic! Wanted a real emphasis on the raspberry so I went for the gusto with 4lbs of raspberries. Adds this wonderful tart and bitter characteristic ontop of the base beer, a wonderful beer

Just read this whole thread... (Was glad to have the 'partial boil' question answered, as it effects the hop usage during the boil.)

I switched to AG a month or two ago, and this is the perfect excuse to do a quick extract batch on the stove one evening after work this week! Looking forward to 3 weeks from now...

Just transfered to secondary with 3 lbs of organic raspberries. I'll be leaving it in here for 7 days. My final gravity before adding raspberries ended up being right around 1.015 which should give me around 4.5% alcohol, just where I hoped it would be. I'm hoping this will taste at least somewhat like the Lindeman's Framboise Lambic.

IMG_1331_2.JPG

IMG_1335_2.JPG

I'm brewing my second batch of this now. The first one was loved by all and is almost gone, although it hasn't been around long.

The only thing I did different was use a lambic yeast instead of nottingham, because that's what was available. I used about 40 oz of berries, but it was raspberries and blackberries at about a 3 to 1 ratio. The blackberries gave a bit of a tart finish, and that was good!

I brewed this today. It was a nice respite from all grain. I took several liberties with the hops though - basically used up several partial unsealed packs that were in the freezer, I figured it would be totally lost in behind the Raspberries anyways.

I created a beersmith file, only to find out that we can not attach them in the forum any longer.

Does anyone have any comments on their experience buying that many raspberries? (e.g. - how much does that cost? How large is the average pack in the freezer section of the grocery store?)

I will say that this seems to be one of the more expensive brews that I've put together (and that's before the raspberries)... if I brew this again, I'll probably compare the costs of doing it all-grain...

I bought 3 12oz packages of organic frozen raspberries for $3.99 each. I was going to use fresh but I could only find really expensive organic that was about $7/lb. I'm gonna bottle mine up tomorrow. The raspberries are getting pretty white at this point with almost 7 days in the carboy.

Just bottled it up. Looks really good. I was bottling a few things today and somehow forgot to taste it (doh!). So I'll be waiting 3 weeks or so for it to bottle carb before I try it. It certainly smelled great. It was fermenting a little with the raspberries but not much.

Kegged up my batch this evening. Beautiful clarity (although dark... I guess I've just been brewing a lot of wheat beers, so it was good to see some clean liquid), nice dark color. It's been in the keezer for about half an hour, so I drew a small glass and WOW.

Wonderful forward raspberry flavor that isn't overpowering. Gives the emotion of a lambic from the bitterness of the fruit. I can already feel that it packs a punch too! (Don't ask me for gravity readings, I find myself taking them less and less.)

If anyone is debating brewing this, don't pass go, go straight for 40 ounces of raspberries.

Ive brewed this twice, the second time I played with the recipe slightly (went all grain and added cherries and some lactose) and it took just took 1st place at the Ohio State Fair Homebrewing Competition - Fruit Beer category.

I'll second Leviticus and say if youre on the fence about this one, go for it. Its a little pricey with the organic fruit but TOTALLY worth it.

Ive brewed this twice, the second time I played with the recipe slightly (went all grain and added cherries and some lactose) and it took just took 1st place at the Ohio State Fair Homebrewing Competition - Fruit Beer category.

I'll second Leviticus and say if youre on the fence about this one, go for it. Its a little pricey with the organic fruit but TOTALLY worth it.

Can you post your updated recipe - it sounds like a great variation! Thx

Hey Man,

Thanks for the recipe...sounds like a winner. I just brewed up the wort. I'm kind of new to brewing, and didn't realize that my stirring spoon (plastic) couldn't handle the heat.

When I was stirring the wort, just prior to the 60 minute boil, I felt something thick on the bottom of the pot. I thought it was the malt extract I was using (liquid), but evidently it was my spoon melting on the bottom. Once I realized my mistake, I promptly transferred the contents to a clean pot. At the end of the 60 minute boil, I poured the wort through cheesecloth into the primary, incase there might have been additional pieces of plastic...

It smells really good...most of the grain steeping happened at 180F because my stove was on its lowest setting and still maintaining that temp. I'm hoping everything turns out fine and that the small amount of plastic won't kill the beer, or me.

Will update when things progress....obviously the deed is done, but should I be worried about the plastic issue regarding quality of beer/my health?

Cheers!

Delaney:mug:

Can you post your updated recipe - it sounds like a great variation! Thx

I'll second this. If you don't mind posting your recipe I'd be really interested to try it with some cherries!

I am going to brew this one tomorrow, looks like a winner to me. I am going to stick with the recipe as is, but am going to throw in a handful or two of cherries from my tree in my backyard.

I am going to keep the hop schedule and grains the same, but am not sure which yeast I am going to go with?

What suggestions do you have for this? English Ale? Thinking WLP039 maybe?

Also, I do like the idea of adding some lactose to sweeten it just a touch, is that added in the bottling bucket?

Pretty much everything is the same but I did a partial mash. I added 1/2# of lactose late in the boil, I believe with my last hops addition (so 5 mins?). Adding it at bottling wouldve given more control (taste testing as you add) but in my case I was making a sweet beer for SWMBO so I didnt care. I added 40oz of organic raspberries and 1# of organic cherries into the secondary and let it sit for 10 days before bottling. If you guys want the exact recipe let me know and ill post it when I have access to my BeerSmith files.

Pretty much everything is the same but I did a partial mash. I added 1/2# of lactose late in the boil, I believe with my last hops addition (so 5 mins?). Adding it at bottling wouldve given more control (taste testing as you add) but in my case I was making a sweet beer for SWMBO so I didnt care. I added 40oz of organic raspberries and 1# of organic cherries into the secondary and let it sit for 10 days before bottling. If you guys want the exact recipe let me know and ill post it when I have access to my BeerSmith files.

Yeah that would be great. What temp did you mash at?

Raspberry
Fruit Beer

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 5/27/2011
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Brewer: Andy
Boil Size: 3.50 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 21.05 %
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 63.16 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.89 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.63 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (25 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (Boil 10.0 min) Sugar 5.26 %
1.00 lb Organic Cherries (Secondary 10.0 min) Misc
40.00 oz Organic Raspberries (Secondary 10.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.28 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.21 %
Bitterness: 26.7 IBU Calories: 231 cal/pint
Est Color: 13.0 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile - I do DeathBrewer's 'Easy Partial Mash' method and keep sparge temps down to try to get a little extra conversion

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash Add 10.00 qt of water at 153.0 F
15 min Sparge Add 8.00 qt of water at 153.0 F

Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.8
Pressure/Weight: 5.0 oz Carbonation Used: -
Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 21.0 days
Storage Temperature: 70.0 F

Notes

I transferred to secondary after 14 days and let it sit on fruit for another 10 days. Next time I brew this I'll personally up the hops just a tad per my tastes but its pretty damn good even without it. Also, the cherries seemed to counteract the tartness I tasted from the raspberries when I brewed this the 1st time without em. I'd probably only add 1/2# of cherries next time I brew it (I liked the tartness, SWMBO didnt).

Enjoy! :mug:

When you guys are using cherries, are you just throwing whole cherries in? I have a cherry tree in my backyard, and was thinking I could rinse and toss in 1/2# in addition to the raspberries, but I wasnt sure if they would mush up and I'd have cherry pits everywhere in my beer (i know they'd get filtered out).

Just wanted to see what you guys were doing for that? Also, I love the idea of adding some lactose, but my beer is now in the primary fermenter for about 5 days. Should I just add some at bottling?

When you guys are using cherries, are you just throwing whole cherries in? I have a cherry tree in my backyard, and was thinking I could rinse and toss in 1/2# in addition to the raspberries, but I wasnt sure if they would mush up and I'd have cherry pits everywhere in my beer (i know they'd get filtered out).

Just wanted to see what you guys were doing for that? Also, I love the idea of adding some lactose, but my beer is now in the primary fermenter for about 5 days. Should I just add some at bottling?

I found frozen, organic, pitted cherries at the grocery store and used those. The first time I brewed this I did some research on whether the fruit should be pasteurized before adding and there were enough people saying the alc % would protect the beer enough for my liking so I just tossed it all in secondary after de-thawing them. I cant speak to the pits but I was able to transfer to my bottling bucket without too many fruit chunks making it over (clean up on the other hand is a *****). Also, adding the lactose at bottling gives you more control as you can taste test it as you go.

@Delaney - Personally, I didnt worry about that sorta thing but I would guess its minimal. The 5.25%ish the BeerSmith spit out was close enough for me.

Thanks GHC. I am definitely not looking forward to the cleanup either. So far it has been referenced as "a slut" and "a *****" so that can't be very good.

It is in the primary for 4 days so far. How long did you leave in primary before moving over? I was thinking 10 days or so? Or maybe just a week?

Thanks GHC. I am definitely not looking forward to the cleanup either. So far it has been referenced as "a slut" and "a *****" so that can't be very good.

It is in the primary for 4 days so far. How long did you leave in primary before moving over? I was thinking 10 days or so? Or maybe just a week?

Both times I brewed it I left it in the primary for 14 days.

Back