Quick & Dirty Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfruser

Reaction score
Howdy:

First post here at HBT.

I used to brew a lot, but life got in the way. I aim to get back into brewing the way I got in: a quick & dirty hard cider.

Way back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and there was a homebrew supply store at the intersection of Red & Bird Roads just north of U Miami.

The owner* of the shop had a quick & dirty hard cider kit:
  • 1 airlock
  • 1 stopper
  • 1 packet of champaign yeast
  • Directions

It called for a gallon of apple cider or juice and was good-to-go in 3 days or so, when it was chilled and immediately consumed. The results were a semi-dry carbonated product.

I was wondering if this sounds right. I am not looking to maximize alcohol or craft a wolrd-beater, just trying to confirm my sketchy memory. I did a few different searches, but nothing this simple poped up.

Anyways, thank in advance for your pointers. Y'all sure have a nice forum and I expect I shall be back for more help and maybe even some contributions in the near future.

* I brought my dad to the store one time and the owner gave him the run-down on home brewing and offered us samples from his draft setup. When we left my dad said, "That was one of the nicest and mellowest store owners I have ever met!" I replied, "It is 2:30PM and he opens shop at 11AM. He also hits the tap pretty regular at 11AM. He ought to be good & mellow right about now."

Three days may take it from a SG of 1.045 or so to around 1.035. I would say 5 days and then crash chill it in the fridge to target a SG of 1.015 or so.
But you really do want a hydrometer, use it and you will have a hard time going wrong.
I would say a FG of 1.010 would be to most peoples liking.
Best of luck, and hopefully the brewing will become a regular hobby again.

1 gallon of juice to 1 pack of yeast. Hmmmm ya I would say it "could" ferment out in 3 days. Thats a bunch of yeast. When you think a single pack is good for a 5 gallon batch, and will ferment it out in about 6 days.

Yes, you'll end up with a mildly alcoholic sweet cider. The sweetness makes it drinkable.

There's a German wine that is made at harvest time and sold when it's partially fermented.

Back