First bottle bomb: Lesson learned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hehawbrew

Reaction score
So- just like any noob, I guess I am learning the hard way and QUICKLY realizing that I should not listen to brew kit instructions....

I started brewing in February this year with Brooklyn Brew Shop kits. I did their everyday IPA and Chocolate Maple Ported, one gallon kits. They both turned out great. So- I ended up buying their book, went to the LHBS and me and the guy working uped the kit to a two gallon, Red Ale.

Brewed it. Let it sit two week(per instructions), bottled it, and waited(kinda).

To satisfy my curiosity I tried one after 5 days in the bottle. Tasted fine, but no carbonation. I read the forums and decided to listen and wait several weeks.

However, today I was looking at my ciders and meads and saw what looked like yeast in one of the Red Ale bottles......i decided to open it. As i heard the hiss, I saw a fountain of beer, all the while everything i read on this forum hit me at once!!!!

I then looked at all my other bottles and saw tiny little buddies on the top. I opened one and it was actually perfectly carbed! I then put the rest in the fridge to get cold and settle down for a month or so.

How likely is it that all will be bombs?

Also- I am assuming they are over carbonated because fermentation was not actually complete when i bottled them. When I primed em', it caused all the excess?

I just recently bought a hydrometer, so, I didnt take all the readings I needed before i bottled...

I believe what you are describing is a gusher. A bottle bomb actually involves broken glass.

I'm hoping its just one! I've been eyeing up the other bottles and everyone seems okay so far. It was just a two gallon batch, so, even if its not perfect, I'll just chug em!

"I then looked at all my other bottles and saw tiny little buddies on the top"

This sounds like they are infected. Just saying. Maybe they are not.

When you opened the bottle, was it at room temp? Try cooling it down and then open and pour it quickly into a glass. Also good if the glass is cold.

Infection might be causing this as they might be building up more CO2 pressure inside the bottles. Hopefully this is not the case.

Also, how do you prime?

When I opened, it was room temperature, 70 degrees. One gushed like a raped ape, one was perfect. So- they have been in the back of the fridge for a few days now.

I prime with either honey or maple syrup, MS for this batch. I syphon into a bottle buck. I dump the syrup in first, and let the beer syphon over it. Give it a little stir, then bottle.

This batch I used iodophor btf sanitizer for the first time. I followed instructions, so I think my sanitation was okay.

The beer tasted fine, just warm...

Just looked through the bottles. This was the only one that seemed, different. So- I opened it up and tried it . Just a little under carbonated, but taste fine. Just think ill let then sit another few weeks and hope for the best

image-2023358879.jpg

Sounds like unequal distribution of your priming sugar. Happens to me every once in a while where one bottle has a 3 inch head and the next barely any. I've found it helpful to give the beer a very gentle stir with a sanitized spoon in the bottling bucket to try to get it better mixed. Yes, this risks some level of oxidation.

The only things that can lead to gushers is either over carbing, infection, or bottling too soon.

Yeah- I think even distribution of priming sugar may be the cause. This is only my 3rd beer brew. My first was an ipa and second a porter and both were perfect. This one I was more informed of oxidation and was more gentle.

Thanks to everyone for their input Nd help!

Thanks for link! The brew I have is an Irish Red, like the last commenter on the thread. I'll know in two weeks how the rest turned out!

Back