Is a year to long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
My buddy brewed a batch of octoberfest this time last year. He never bottled it or anything . I want to keg it today. He thinks its bad because it sat for a year and the air lock is dry'd up. I say once it fermented it couldn't of gotten a bacteria .
1) has anyone tried this? 2) am I right?

I'd say smack the crap out of him for letting it sit and not keeping an eye on it!!

He's one of "those guys" ..I got into it homebrew'n so he gave it shot but he said it was boring. Lmao! So i asked him last week what ever happened to his batch ..he said its just sitting there. :O

Well since he's not into it anymore tell him u will take his equipment and use it. Y just let a beer sit there?? As for the beer???? It's prob not any good seeing as the airlock is dried nobly one way to find out. Take a small sample and taste it. That way u won't waste the time kegging and carbonating if its bad

I say once it fermented it couldn't of gotten a bacteria .

If the airlock as compromised, it could certainly have picked up an infection of some sort. That being said, crack it open and take a sample. If it tastes decent, keg or bottle that bad boy and give it a go. If it tastes terrible, dump it and try again.

Taste it? i wouldnt look at it! This guy just doesnt care! He could peed in it on a bender! Im kidding i bet no pee but taste it after a year no thanks i wouldnt smell it!

It could have gotten an infection,but after a year you'll know one way or the other. It's either really infected, or not at all, so smell it, then taste it, if it tastes remotely fine it's probably gonna be great .

Given the guys attitude toward it I would almost want to think it may have been brewed poorly to begin with.

My Dad did that with a batch of wine back in the day. That carboy sat around for years with a dry air lock. I never paid much attention to it. Then I started brewing.....thanks for the carboy Dad.

I did a similar thing with a Porter a couple years ago. Tasted fine. Everyone drank the whole keg. I think I bottled a few which are probably still in the cellar somewhere.

tom_hampton said:
I did a similar thing with a Porter a couple years ago. Tasted fine. Everyone drank the whole keg. I think I bottled a few which are probably still in the cellar somewhere.

See not everyone is up to the minute brewers! Lmao :D

lumpher said:
dry airlock for a long time. it's probably bad

I tasted it... There was not a bad taste at all a lil bitter but I think that was from transport . No bad smell or anything. Ill let you all know how it comes out. Thanx for the input everyone!

Back