American Porter Edmund Fitzgerald Clone (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
korndog said:
So, what's the verdict? I'm coming up on four weeks on mine. When should I keg this baby?

4 weeks in secondary? If so, I say keg that sucker!

I entered my version brewed back in December in a recent local competition and wound up with a blue ribbon in the Robust Porter catagory. My favorite winter brew above all others.

Cool. Thanks. I brewed this and didn't care for the result, but only had wyeast 1098 available. I'm looking for that dry finish like the original next time. I'm a big fan of Safale 05, so I think I will give it a shot.

Did you not care for the yeast results or the recipe in general? I'm thinking about brewing this one as stated in the recipe and i'm hoping before I make 10 gallons that it is a good one.. I love EF in the bottle...

WLP007 is a highly attenuative yeast that will dry this out quite a bit more than S-04 or Nottingham. Try it and you will not be disappointed.

Did you not care for the yeast results or the recipe in general? I'm thinking about brewing this one as stated in the recipe and i'm hoping before I make 10 gallons that it is a good one.. I love EF in the bottle...

I could only get my hands on W1098 when I brewed, and did not care for the results. While the beer finished out ok, it seemed under-attenuated to me. This is the direct equivalent to WL007, so I'm not sure what went wrong. The beer is fine, but underwhelming, and I don't fault the recipe. Aroma is good, and palate is good. It's just the finish and mouthfeel that don't quite cut it for me. I believe I might actually try using Safale 05 next time and see what happens.

So I brewed up 11 gallons of this over the weekend. Divided it up into 2 fermenters. I hit 1.060 for my OG and I pitched a starter of wlp007 Dry English Ale Yeast in one and a starter of WLP013 London Ale Yeast in the other. Looking forward to trying this and seeing what the 2 yeasts do differently.

So I brewed up 11 gallons of this over the weekend. Divided it up into 2 fermenters. I hit 1.060 for my OG and I pitched a starter of wlp007 Dry English Ale Yeast in one and a starter of WLP013 London Ale Yeast in the other. Looking forward to trying this and seeing what the 2 yeasts do differently.

Any verdict yet? I'm going to brew this up this weekend, and am still trying to decide what yeast to use.

Thanks!
Greg

Any verdict yet? I'm going to brew this up this weekend, and am still trying to decide what yeast to use.

Thanks!
Greg

I used Nottingham (because I'm too cheap and lazy to use liquid yeast). I think its every bit as good as Great Lakes version.

Craig

So I made a 10 gallon batch of this back on June 7th I pitched a starter of WL Dry English in half and a starter of London Ale in the other half and after 3 weeks in the bottle i chilled one of the Dry English Ale version down and gave it a sample. I think this is very close to to Edmund Fitzgerald which is one of my favorite brews. Nice chocolate and malt background. Just a hint of that special b raisin flavor comes through and the nice dry yet somewhat creamy finish keeps you coming back for another sip. This is a very nice recipe ohiobrewtus!! Can't wait to compare this one with the other batch and I think I will go buy a 6er of the real thing to compare all 3 this weekend. Thanks again for sharing!

just tried the commercial version this weekend and loved it. im a big fan of the dry finish and think i'll have to brew this one up soon. for those who have used nottingham for this recipe, did it dry it out like the commercial version or was it still a little sweet?

Ok so I am going to make this great beer today, but here is my issue. I was given Nugget as sub for the Centennial. I did not even think to question it, but now I am wondering if that will be way to much. I know a cascade would be acceptable, and might have some to sub, but wanted to get ya'lls thoughts. This will be a 5 gal batch.

Thanks
John

I know I'm a bit late since it appears that you probably already brewed this earlier today, but Nugget is a perfectly acceptable substitute for Centennial.

Thanks, I went ahead and went with what I was given. It was not a perfect day, but I made beer. I was off on y boil off, so I was short about half a gallon, but I hit all my temps, and all my gravities. I could not help but drink what was left in my kettle when I was done, oh so tasty. I will be doing a side by side with a friend who came by today to help in a few weeks. He loves EFP, so he will be picky. Should be interesting.

Thanks for a great recipe, Ohio!!!!

Jay8s

Thanks, I went ahead and went with what I was given. It was not a perfect day, but I made beer. I was off on y boil off, so I was short about half a gallon, but I hit all my temps, and all my gravities. I could not help but drink what was left in my kettle when I was done, oh so tasty. I will be doing a side by side with a friend who came by today to help in a few weeks. He loves EFP, so he will be picky. Should be interesting.

Thanks for a great recipe, Ohio!!!!

Jay8s

Glad to hear your brewday went relatively well. I hope you enjoy it! In fact, I think I'll drink one right now. :mug:

So I made a 10 gallon batch of this back on June 7th I pitched a starter of WL Dry English in half and a starter of London Ale in the other half and after 3 weeks in the bottle i chilled one of the Dry English Ale version down and gave it a sample. I think this is very close to to Edmund Fitzgerald which is one of my favorite brews. Nice chocolate and malt background. Just a hint of that special b raisin flavor comes through and the nice dry yet somewhat creamy finish keeps you coming back for another sip. This is a very nice recipe ohiobrewtus!! Can't wait to compare this one with the other batch and I think I will go buy a 6er of the real thing to compare all 3 this weekend. Thanks again for sharing!

so how did the london ale batch compare to the dry english ale batch? i'm mainly concerned with which dried it out the most.

well, i brewed this recipe today. for some reason i had a lot of problems but in the end it came out ok i think. could only find pale chocolate locally so used that and used UK pilgrim hops for bittering and UK challenger hops for the flavor and aroma additions. pitched a 2L starter of wyeast 1098 and the airlock was going within a couple hours. hope it turns out well. smelled pretty good!

EDIT: oh yeah, used maris otter as the base grain. between that, the pale chocolate, and different hops it might have a slightly different character than the original recipe.

I just kegged this today. It tasted so wonderful when I took a sample. hopefully this will last til SWMBO's birthday in two weeks. On to my Chocolate Hazelnut Porter.

THANKS AGAIN OHIO!!!!!

I heard they use Wyeast 1028 for this recipe. I'm leery of using special b in an american robust, though. Does it really add anything closer to the beer being cloned?

To me, the Special B gives it a bit of dark roast/dark fruit hint. It's very subtle and in the background compared to everything else though.

All I have to say is wow, brewed pretty much this exact recipe(kicked up the 4%ers to 5% and the black patent just a smidgen). This was my first brew AG/extract/period and while it has only been bottled for a week and I just cracked open my first one, delicious, now I just have to contain myself until they are properly finished....

I love EF, and this gives me an excuse to go out and do a comparison :).

Thanks for the great recipe :mug:, an awesome introduction into this hobby.

Hey OB, just wanted to give an update on this recipe, I brewed this on 9-28-08, I put a sixer in the cellar and forgot about it, a couple weeks ago I was digging through the cellar and found the sixer, I thought, wonder what it tastes like 11 months old, put it in the fridge for a few days, and all I can say is wow! That s*&t is freaking awesome man, I dont know if you have ever aged yours that long, but you should try it sometime, I split the batch using S-04 and Notty, these were the Notty strain bottles, anyhow just wanted to tell you how good it is at this age, and thanks for the recipe.:rockin:

I think I had 7 days in primary and 14 days in secondary in the original recipe. My beers usually end up in primary/secondary for 2-3 months before I get to them. If you're bottling, this beer will probably be ready at 6-8 weeks

I heard they use Wyeast 1028 for this recipe. I'm leery of using special b in an american robust, though. Does it really add anything closer to the beer being cloned?

You are correct with the yeast. The London ale (wy1028 / wlp013) is used in a large number of Great Lakes' ales. See this interview with one of their brewers ->http://drinkcraftbeer.com/editorial...wing-company-interview-with-luke-purcell.html

A buddy of mine also heard it on the brewery tour when he asked what the ingredients are for the EF. Nothing better than one of these on a cold Ohio night.

Replicator in BYO has another try at this brew this month. I think that Ohio has it pretty close. I still have some from last years brew left, so I will be doing a side by side in a few weeks.

Jay8s

Yeast....
I have about 7-8 outdated (November 8th) WLP007 in the store. If anybody wants 1 or 2 PM me. Its cold enough out now to ship yeast without ice (unless you want ice pack we can talk) and I think $5 ea will cover Paypal and shipping.
Make a starter and you're good to go.
Just an offer....
Jay

Made this yesterday...came out more brown than black but tastes good so far. Details in a few months.

I made this yesterday. I had to make one change which was to sub willamette at 60 min instead of centennial. The 60' addition makes almost no contribution to flavor and aroma anyways, so I'm comfortable with it. OG was 1.059.

I decided it was time to renew my yeast after about 20 brews with my old WLP007 pack. I bought a new pack and made a 1L starter. It's going gangbusters on it.

Everything else was spot on. I'll post some tasting notes and perhaps a pic in about 3wks.
Thanks brutus.
C.

Back