2.5 Ltr starter for lager - enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piotr

Reaction score
I have 2.5 Ltr (1/2 galon) starter on stir plate for lager - 6 galons 1.054 pilsner, I'd like to pitch cold.
MrMalty calculator tells me I should have 1.5 Ltr to 4.1 Ltr, depending on how much vials I pitch. I don't pitch whole vial, I use frozen yeast, I make step-up starter 100 ml -> 500 ml -> 2.5 ltr, I'm not sure how to use the 'growth factor' setting in such case.

Yes, I decant, leaving just enough liquid to get my slurry into the wort.

I don't know what you mean by "pitch cold," though. I take my starters out of the fridge (if they went there, and they usually do) when I start brewing.

TL

I don't know what you mean by "pitch cold"

I mean, pitching to wort cooled to 48-50F.

Other technique is "pitching warm" as I call it, that is pitching in ~68F, and cooling the wort slowly, as soon as you see fermentation signs. This technique allows to use smaller starters.

Well just as a note I am pitching a lager tomorrow as well. I just got done making starter (small 1200ML) and I am going to pitch my Frisco Lager yeast at around 65 then wait till I see signs of ferment and then drop temp to lager temps.
Cheers
JJ

Back