Clumpy Yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrasy

Reaction score
I've had a White Labs vile of yeast in my fridge for a couple weeks and today when I went to start my brew, I noticed the yeast was seperated and kind of clumpy. I shook it up a little which helped but it still has a couple clumps in it. I gues they may go away with more agitation but I haven't seen this before and now I'm wondering if it's no good. Am I being too paranoid? Any thoughts?

Its probably fine, but I would still make a starter just because it is liquid yeast.

I was thinking of doing a starter just to make sure. Here's another question. Can I brew up my wort today along with my starter and then add my starter in a couple days when it's ready? Is it ill advised to let the wort sit for a couple days before pitching?

morrasy said:
I was thinking of doing a starter just to make sure. Here's another question. Can I brew up my wort today along with my starter and then add my starter in a couple days when it's ready? Is it ill advised to let the wort sit for a couple days before pitching?

It is ill advised to allow wort to sit for a couple of days before pitching the yeast.

You want the yeast in the wort as soon as possible so your yeast dominates the fermentation process, not allowing any stray yeast in.

I think you will leave yourself open to too many possible problems.

Back