My first Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koffie

Reaction score
Friday will be the day: we are brewing our first Lambiek :)
We allready have a Flanders Red on a 50 liter barrel, this year we make 100 liter Lambiek.

The first preperation for the barrel allready took place: drill a hole in the middle and fill with water.

We will try to use the traditional turbid mash.

Friday will be the day: we are brewing our first Lambiek :)
We allready have a Flanders Red on a 50 liter barrel, this year we make 100 liter Lambiek.

The first preperation for the barrel allready took place: drill a hole in the middle and fill with water.

We will try to use the traditional turbid mash.

Nice. Keep us updated. :mug:

Little sidestep, I took some pictures of my 50 liter barrel with a 13 months old Flanders Red (with Roeselare blend)

Awesome stuff. I'm looking to do a barrel aged or Flanders soon... Carboys aren't as cool. I'm assuming it's a used barrel.. Where did you get it?

will you spontaneously ferment it? Nice stuff, keep us posted

Thanks! :)
It is a 2 year used barrel (whine), I bought it at my local shop in The Netherlands.

It isn't spontaneous fermentation, I used a clean dry yeast for the primary, and added the young beer with a wyeast Roeselare blend when racking to the barrel a year ago.

Koffie said:
Thanks! :)
It is a 2 year used barrel (whine), I bought it at my local shop in The Netherlands.

It isn't spontaneous fermentation, I used a clean dry yeast for the primary, and added the young beer with a wyeast Roeselare blend when racking to the barrel a year ago.

Your in the Netherlands? Close enough to Flanders. Try five gallons spontaneously fermented sometime. I'd love to see what happens

You mean a spontaneously fermented Flanders Red?

Close enough to Flanders/Belgium ;) Allways trying to have a crate Rodenbach and a crate Kasteel Rouge on stock :D

Koffie said:
You mean a spontaneously fermented Flanders Red?

Close enough to Flanders/Belgium ;) Allways trying to have a crate Rodenbach and a crate Kasteel Rouge on stock :D

Flanders or lambic I suppose. No I know they are different countries, I'm not that stupid haha. Flanders is northern Belgium, Wallonia south. I was saying your closer, then say, me.

I just said (typed) Flanders/Belgium because it's basicly the same for us :)

Like the topic says, tommorow we will do a Lambiek with spontaneously fermentation

this is awesome! koffie are you by any chance involved in the carnivale berttanomyces at/around the bierkoning this summer? if so pm me!

wat leuk ik spreek geen piemelige nederlands (niet waar) maar jouw foto's zijn echt wel leuuuuk! goed gedaan en als je heb meer oud hop nodig ik heb een kilotje vrij
translation: f\/ck yeah

Sorry, the dutch part was from the copy/paste and I didn't noticed it when posting :)

Today we brewed the second batch, score is about 65 liters.

We also worked on motorizing the malt mill :

If I'm doing my math right, you could have a coolship 1 square meter by 30cm and it would be big enough for a one barrel batch. I only mention that as I'm planning to have one made from scrap stainless at some point.

Keep with the updates, I'm really enjoying them.

wat leuk ik spreek geen piemelige nederlands (niet waar) maar jouw foto's zijn echt wel leuuuuk! goed gedaan en als je heb meer oud hop nodig ik heb een kilotje vrij
translation: f\/ck yeah
Vergeten te reageren: we hebben nu genoeg Lambiek voor ons vat, dus volgende jaar gaan we pas weer brouwen.
Bedankt voor je aanbod, maar voorlopig hebben we dus niet nodig :mug:

If I'm doing my math right, you could have a coolship 1 square meter by 30cm and it would be big enough for a one barrel batch. I only mention that as I'm planning to have one made from scrap stainless at some point.

Keep with the updates, I'm really enjoying them.
Sounds cool, but I wouldn't have the place for it for the rest of the year when not using it.
Also sounds a bit expensive?

Back