You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know you're a homebrewer when you stop a boil-over through sheer intimidation and will power.

I'm glad SWMBO wasn't home to hear me yelling at my wort.

When my wife told me we were expecting another little one, and I stood there silent for a moment. She asked why I wasn't saying anything and when I explained that I was trying to figure out what I was going to brew to hand out in place of cigars, she hit me in the shoulder. Not the response she was lookin for I guess.

When you try for the 100th time to get that root beer smell out of your bottling bucket.

wordsmith said:
1) When your coffee maker says "ready to brew" and you think "yes, yes i am..."
2) When you try to convice your 3 year old to name her stuffed otter "Maris"

This is why we now have a stuffed heifer named Patty around the house.

cwhip said:
when you drink your brew faster then you can make it!:drunk:

I would say the EXACT opposite, actually!

You know you're a homebrewer when you *can't* drink your beer fast enough (to free up fermentors, kegs, bottles, space, etc). When you have to give away almost 90% of your brews JUST so you can brew more frequently! :D

When you are home alone with SWMBO's kid and you sing her to sleep with...

Tomorrow we will brew
Tomorrow we will brew
Tomorrow is IPA day
And brewing we will do

(happy birthday style)

jbaysurfer said:
When you have 6 fridges, and 4 are beer only and SWMBO says you have a fridge fetish.

When you have 4 fridges and 3 freezers but only 1 freezer and 2 fridges don't have kegs or fermenters. But, they do store hops!

You make your second batch, before the first one is out of the fermenter.

It's midnight, your back is killing, you're exhausted, but you have to finish cleaning 40 more god damn bottles.

Krovitz said:
It's midnight, your back is killing, you're exhausted, but you have to finish cleaning 40 more god damn bottles.

I've been there. Before using oxiclean too so it too a long time. Now I keg so no biggie. Once you get a large enough collection of bottles shouldn't be a problem provided you rinse after use or attach a bottle brush to a drill

Get some buckets. Rinse the bottles. Get some Oxiclean. Put in bucket with hot water (as hot as you can stand putting your hands in). Put bottles in bucket fully submerged and let soak overnight. The result is bottles that are clean and just need rinsed (a couple times). Then put rinsed bottles in another bucket with Star San solution.

copyright1997 said:
Get some buckets. Rinse the bottles. Get some Oxiclean. Put in bucket with hot water (as hot as you can stand putting your hands in). Put bottles in bucket fully submerged and let soak overnight. The result is bottles that are clean and just need rinsed (a couple times). Then put rinsed bottles in another bucket with Star San solution.

That's what I've been doing without problems, but for some reason this time I'm getting a bunch of bottles with a cloudy ring at the bottom of the bottle. It's driving me crazy.

Erroneous said:
I've been there. Before using oxiclean too so it too a long time. Now I keg so no biggie. Once you get a large enough collection of bottles shouldn't be a problem provided you rinse after use or attach a bottle brush to a drill

You know when you're a homebrewer when your mind is blown by the simple yet genius idea to put a bottle brush on a drill.

Also, when you check Craigslist everyday for the elusive Sanyo 4912.

That's what I've been doing without problems, but for some reason this time I'm getting a bunch of bottles with a cloudy ring at the bottom of the bottle. It's driving me crazy.

I use a muck bucket,it will hold 60 bottles,then use a double blast bottle washer,with it I've only had to rinse once.

When you are making chili for today's cookoff, and decide to write down a detailed time schedule for hot pepper addition, you know, so you have the perfect balance of hot and flavor. Then you start your boil timer to make sure you make your hot pepper additions at the correct time.

Brewing really is taking over my life.

When you're stirring your coffee and think, "Hey! Whirlpool. Time to add my cream addition."

Krovitz said:

When you pour out the bottles, make sure you slowly pour it out rather than dumping upside down. I realized rings when I was brewing a week or two ago and that worked for me

You know you're a home brewer when you've got 3 bathrooms in your house and your swmbo share one and you and your wife share one. Gotta have a beer lab!

stagedivesandhighfives said:
You know you're a home brewer when you've got 3 bathrooms in your house and your swmbo share one and you and your wife share one. Gotta have a beer lab!

How'd you work that one out? The swmbo and the wife, not the private bathroom.

When you don't even get carded when you go to pick up packages at UPS and when the ups workers ask how your brewing is going and what is fermenting.

When you mix your cream and sugar/sweetener together in your coffee cup before putting the coffee in to ensure even mix...

You have beer in your kegerator but have to drink bottled micros because you have promised "just one growler" to a friend.

You pull you lunch out of the microwave and notice the condensation on the lid of the container and think "Oh no, DMS!". Then you realize its just leftover chili.

You laugh like a mad scientist when you've finally dialed in your efficiency. SWMBO still doesn't understand why I got so excited when that happened.

Back