Berr in carboy with fizz ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
I just racked mu pale ale into my keg after leaving it in the primary carboy for 30 stright days, The OG was 1.054 and the FG was 1.011 the beer was pritty fizzy... Is this normal ?

Are my readings right ? Everything is smack on beersmith readings but why the fizz I used Wyeast Northwest Ale...

Readings look fine. Yes, it's normal for beer to have fizz/bubbles. Fermentation creates CO2 and alcohol. The CO2 is residual, and you add priming sugar to get that extra CO2 to carb your beer right before bottling. Alllll good.

JordanThomas said:
Readings look fine. Yes, it's normal for beer to have fizz/bubbles. Fermentation creates CO2 and alcohol. The CO2 is residual, and you add priming sugar to get that extra CO2 to carb your beer right before bottling. Alllll good.

Cool thanks...

What would my beer taste like if it fermentes a bit high temped ?? Northwest Ale Wyeast

Looking tonsee if my beer tastes fine, the test tube FG taste test tastes funny :( I know it's not cold and carbed but maby the funny taste is due to slightly high fermenting temp

How high are we talking? It can produce fruity flavors. I let an ESB get away from me (78+) and turned out pretty cidery. It has faded after about 3 weeks. It should have been drinkable earlier but it didn't kill the batch.

JordanThomas said:
How high are we talking? It can produce fruity flavors. I let an ESB get away from me (78+) and turned out pretty cidery. It has faded after about 3 weeks. It should have been drinkable earlier but it didn't kill the batch.

It fermentes for 30days between 64 to 71 degrees... I stayed with in the range that Wyeast suggested

edmanster said:
Most yeast are fruity at high temps and spicy at low temps during fermentation..

I think the taste is spices I must habe fermented a bit loe in the first 72 hours

Just tasted my beer that has chilled for 24 hours and it still tastes funny... It tastes like a very agressive "tin, aluminum" taste that leaves quite fast in mouth, for the rest it seems fine but the snap in mouth is akward to me...

What may have caused this ?

Low fermentation temp "spice taste"
Infection during the fermenting ?
Hop flavor ?

It could be your water contributing to the metallic taste. It could also just be a young beer taste. I've had plenty of weird twangs which age out nicely. Let it mellow out and leave in the fridge for a week or two. Stash the rest out of sight, and pull it out at Christmas. it'll probably be good then.

pelipen said:
It could be your water contributing to the metallic taste. It could also just be a young beer taste. I've had plenty of weird twangs which age out nicely. Let it mellow out and leave in the fridge for a week or two. Stash the rest out of sight, and pull it out at Christmas. it'll probably be good then.

One of my buddies said it has to be the Galena 10% alfa pellet hops that I added at 60 mins that are harsh and bitter, probably will mellow out with time :)

After taste testing with my beer budies we came down to DMS :( If you read the posts above I think all this goes together :(

Back