Heading to Portland,Oregon in August.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dino821235

Reaction score
Shout out to the folks in Portland and area.......Looking to do a 1264kms(canadian) 1 way from Calgary,AB to Portland and was wondering the best Brewerys and Bars to check out.

You can start here: Here are so many great breweries, brewpubs and bars in Portland that anything posted will be a tiny sample.

Hopworks Urban Brewery and Deschuttes are my two favorites. Oh and almost any of the Mcmennamins. Edgefield is one of the best ones.

The Horse Brass Pub is one of the best beer bars.

The Green Dragon is also fantastic, as is Bailey's Tap Room.

Rogue, Deschutes, Widmer, and Full Sail all have taprooms if you want some good stuff from the larger breweries.

Cascade Barrel House is the place to go for locally made sour beers.

Honestly, there's so much good beer in Portland, you can get a great tap selection in some of the numerous strip clubs. The Acropolis possibly has the most taps. :cross:

Avoid McMennamin's.
Belmont Station and Horse Brass for bars; Cascade Barrel House, Laurelwood, Hopworks, Breakside, and Hair of the Dog for breweries/brew pubs.

Skip McMenamins. Belmont Station is great. Saraveza always has an awesome tap list. Cascade Barrel House makes really interesting sour beers, I would check them out for beers you don't see a lot of.

+1 Belmont Station for bottle shop
Apex is a nice beer bar, bring in Los Gorditos from next door
Beer mongers across the street
New old Lompoc hedge house twenty blocks away

+1 to skipping McMenimans, except if you want to see a movie. Beers are not exceptional.
+1 hair of the dog
Upright
Laurelwood for beers, skip food

My wife and I grew up in the Portland area and we have lots of good memories of going to mcmennamins, i think that is why I like and miss it so much. Their beer and food isnt amazing but it is good and they are everywhere. I miss having somewhere like that around.

I am up in portland this week and will be trying some of the newer places on this list. Hopworks is already planned, and want to try and get to horse brass or baileys.

I too, think I will be headed to Portland, Oregon in August. HAve you come up with a solid plan? Found any sweet specifics? Im coming from the east coast, and this will be my first west coast trip. Im planning it for my 30th birthday, and what better way than on a brewery tour de force? I've heard good things about Bend, as well but it is a sollid 4 hour drive.

I too, think I will be headed to Portland, Oregon in August. HAve you come up with a solid plan? Found any sweet specifics? Im coming from the east coast, and this will be my first west coast trip. Im planning it for my 30th birthday, and what better way than on a brewery tour de force? I've heard good things about Bend, as well but it is a sollid 4 hour drive.

There are several brewery tours you can take. My bachelor party actually involved a nice "limo" service in a sprinter van shuttling us from brewpub to brewpub. Also, Portland has a "Distillery Row" where you can tour locally made spirits, which are also pretty damn delightful.

Bend is a fantastic town, but I wouldn't really recommend it as a side-trip to Portland (Hood River and Stevenson in the Columbia Gorge due east of Portland, maybe, for Full Sail, Double Mountain, Walking Man, and some sweet Windsurfing/Kiteboarding).

Instead, have fun in Portland and next time you come out to Oregon, plan a specific trip to Bend. See if one of your favorite bands is playing there or come for an outdoor athletic event.

Also, Eugene (due south of Portland) is a pretty cool town and getting cooler. Ninkasi and Hop Valley are both in that area and going to an Oregon Ducks game is lots of fun.

alexdagrate said:
There are several brewery tours you can take. My bachelor party actually involved a nice "limo" service in a sprinter van shuttling us from brewpub to brewpub. Also, Portland has a "Distillery Row" where you can tour locally made spirits, which are also pretty damn delightful.

Bend is a fantastic town, but I wouldn't really recommend it as a side-trip to Portland (Hood River and Stevenson in the Columbia Gorge due east of Portland, maybe, for Full Sail, Double Mountain, Walking Man, and some sweet Windsurfing/Kiteboarding).

Instead, have fun in Portland and next time you come out to Oregon, plan a specific trip to Bend. See if one of your favorite bands is playing there or come for an outdoor athletic event.

Also, Eugene (due south of Portland) is a pretty cool town and getting cooler. Ninkasi and Hop Valley are both in that area and going to an Oregon Ducks game is lots of fun.

If you're going to take a side trip from Portland, You gotta get up to the coast and come to Astoria. Astoria Brewing Company, Fort George Brewery are great! There's a Rogue public house right on the water of the Columbia River too. Worth the drive!

If you're going to take a side trip from Portland, You gotta get up to the coast and come to Astoria. Astoria Brewing Company, Fort George Brewery are great! There's a Rogue public house right on the water of the Columbia River too. Worth the drive!

That is a good point. I would take a side trip to Astoria and the beaches over a side-trip to Bend. Cape Disappointment park across the Columbia in Washington State is also beautiful and has a great Lewis & Clark exhibit.

Also, Fort George Brewery sells its 7.5% ABV IPA and its 8.5% ABV Stout in 16 oz Tallboy cans, perfect for the beach or hiking the mountain!

Just beware, although Portland, Eugene, and Bend are all VERY bike-friendly towns with lots of beer, Bicycling Under the Influence is equivalent to Driving Under the Influence under the law. So if you get over a .08%, WALK, don't ride!

Definitely check out some of the places being mentioned but don't listen to all the don't go to McMenamins people. Yes, you can get better beer at lots of places in Portland, but most of McMenamins beer is still decent and they have some really different establishments. Check out their website - my wife and I have stayed at the Edgefield many times even though we only live about 20 minutes from it.

+1 Hair of The Dog
Thats my favorite brewery. Great food, and great strong ales.
Alameda Brewing is a good place as well.

Well guys it Looks like its almost time to hit the Road...Leaving on Monday and headed to spokane first.....then off to Seattle,down the Oregon coast and into Portland......I do believe the Beerfest is going on there from the 26 to 29th so will be checking that out.Will be on Motorcycle so if anyone in any of those areas as anygood sites to see,roads to ride and great food and beer joints.....please let me know!.

Well guys it Looks like its almost time to hit the Road...Leaving on Monday and headed to spokane first.....then off to Seattle,down the Oregon coast and into Portland......I do believe the Beerfest is going on there from the 26 to 29th so will be checking that out.Will be on Motorcycle so if anyone in any of those areas as anygood sites to see,roads to ride and great food and beer joints.....please let me know!.

Take a break and stretch your legs between Seattle and Portland in Olympia. Go to the Eastside Club Tavern. Try to limit yourself to just one of their 40 taps.

Ride safe!

Back