Two batches under my belt...and two ruined digital thermometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbehr

Reaction score
So I've brewed two batches of beer in the last week and have ruined two different digital probe thermometers. Both seemed accurate compared to room temp, ice cube glass, and boiling water. I kept the probe in the entire time and after removing from the boil at the end they went wacky. Now one reads room temperature at 127 and one says 158. Any idea what I did to these?
I REALLY like the probe style as I'm a rookie and it's easier to monitor temp for the partial mash and cooling before adding the yeast. Any suggestions?

This one I've had for 2+ years and used for grilling/smoking
http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Industries-ET-71-RediCheck-Thermometer/dp/B000FAB8GA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338818322&sr=8-1

This one I just bought Sunday before doing my second batch.
http://www.amazon.com/009060563-Chefmate-wireless/dp/B00411XG2I/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338818307&sr=8-2-spell

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps only put it in near the end of the boil - assuming you want it sterilized to determine wort temp during cooling. Other option would be a stem and dial thermometer for non-mash uses. I don't think you need as super accurate temps when checking the progress of cooling - unlike mashing.

So only the actual metal probe can get wet and not where it meets the stainless wire? I just had the probe thrown in the liquid and I'm sure the wire part was submerged....assumed the entire thing was water proof!?

Nope, sadly those things are not waterproof between the cable and the probe. I've heard some have had success in baking them in the oven for a period of time to dry them out and bring them back to life.

I can second that. They cannot get wet where the wire enters the probe. I've baked mine a couple of times but then even that quite working for me. I used heat shrink tubing and then a length of silicone over that sealed where the wire enters the probe. That works just fine.

Awesome, I just baked it and it appears to be working normally again! I'll have to do the shrink wrap trick this week!!

Back