10 gallon batch.???!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creepersale

Reaction score
Recently came across a 60 qt. Pot. And I'm interested in doing ten gallon batches ! Are there are there ten gal. Carboys/buckets for fermentation ? Or is it just as well to split it into two five gal. Carboys ..( And just though I could also pitch two different yeast. )

I just ordered a 13 gallon from Austinhomebrew.com. Have not received it yet. May be next weekend before I get to test it out.

I do 11 Gallon batches all the time now and split them into two fermentors.
I've done it using different yeast and the same yeast, with primary additions in one and not the other (added maple syrup to half of a brown ale recipe) and so on. It's not that hard, and it provides nice opportunities for experimentation :mug:

I always split my 12 gallon batches into two fermenters. I don't have a conical, and I can't lift anything more than about 8 gallons anyway, so I just use two fermenters.

Second or third or fourth the suggestion of just splitting the batch. That is what I do when I am brewing. Plus you can have more fun with the beer because you can do things like add spices, flavorings, dry hops, and different yeasts and still have your control batch to see how those things changed the taste of your beer.

I have been fermenting 10-11 gal batches in a 15.5 sanke keg fitted with an orange carboy hood, cap one hole and put a blow off tube running from the other. It works for now.

Back