Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a new homebrewer, I chose a name just to have fun and sort of motivate myself ...

The Staggering Celiac Brewery

I'm trying to brew great beer that just happens to be gluten-free. In this house of 4 people, I am the only non-celiac. There are some excellent GF alternatives, but not so much when it comes to beer ...

As a new homebrewer, I chose a name just to have fun and sort of motivate myself ...

The Staggering Celiac Brewery

I'm trying to brew great beer that just happens to be gluten-free. In this house of 4 people, I am the only non-celiac. There are some excellent GF alternatives, but not so much when it comes to beer ...

When you nail down some good reces I'd love to steal them from you if you don't mind. My mother is celiac and is always looking for me to brew something good and the first attempt was awful

Melted Smurf Brewery
The first time I brewed two Smurfs that were sitting on my microwave shelf above the stove fell into my wort while I was adding the malt. I fished them out and the beer turned out great. I just need to create a logo now.

When you nail down some good reces I'd love to steal them from you if you don't mind. My mother is celiac and is always looking for me to brew something good and the first attempt was awful

Absolutely. We've got a Sweet Sorghum Syrup-based recipe fermenting right now, and we're brewing a Quinoa-based recipe next week. Also, there's an entire Gluten-Free section here on HomeBrewTalk. Check it out!

I've been brewing for 16 years, and never really had a logo; if people asked I usually used the name of the street I was living on at the time - made for pretty bland names; the sorts of names you find littering the suburbs of small prairie towns, harkening to nicer places (Pineridge, Deerrun, etc).

I finally got around to designing a logo - I was aiming at something humorous that incorporated my job (I'm a medical sciences prof). I started off with Drunk Prof brewing (using the periodic table), but mid-way came up with a much better idea. So I'm putting drunk prof aside - perhaps as a name for a beer one day.

DRuNK%2520PrOF.png

The new logo/name: "helicase brewery". Since the name doesn't necessarily make sense, a helicase is an enzyme that unwinds DNA...I think the rest is self-explanatory.

Helicase%2520Brewery.png

Any comments on improvements are welcome.

Bryan

Two Eds brewing. Started out making wine with my dad, and then moved on to beer. Our names are both Ed. Pop has kinda dropped out of my brewing venture, but continues to make wine and drink my beer. I'm a bit of a numbers geek as I work with trig and algebra every day, so the logo is E2 (squared) and whether someone calls it E two or E squared, I am Ed two. So it kinda works either way. My "slogan", should you call it that, is "E=MC(beer)Motherf*$#%&! I will edit later with an image of the actual logo.

EdMerican said:
Two Eds brewing. Started out making wine with my dad, and then moved on to beer. Our names are both Ed. Pop has kinda dropped out of my brewing venture, but continues to make wine and drink my beer. I'm a bit of a numbers geek as I work with trig and algebra every day, so the logo is E2 (squared) and whether someone calls it E two or E squared, I am Ed two. So it kinda works either way. My "slogan", should you call it that, is "E=MC(beer)Motherf*$#%&! I will edit later with an image of the actual logo.

Coming from another Ed, I love the name. Yet, I would have thought the slogan would have been "Two Eds Are Better Than One." :)

My brewery name came from my love for sci-fi and fantasy novels, in particular Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. I'm a huge fan of the Aiel in that series, and they live in an area they call the Three Fold Land. Hence Threefold Brewing.

It's also where I get my inspiration for beer names. Every one of my beers is named for something or someone in the sci-fi or fantasy genre.

I've just started, however given where I come I've gone for regional/provincial colours.....
RED & BLACK BREWING
"These Colours Don't Run".

I love this. Can't wait for the final book. You also just inspired a name change for me.

Three Banners Brewing.

For the three banners of the Ta'veren.

I noticed your Kingkiller ale. I just started that series. Also, I love your logo.

My brewery name came from my love for sci-fi and fantasy novels, in particular Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. I'm a huge fan of the Aiel in that series, and they live in an area they call the Three Fold Land. Hence Threefold Brewing.

It's also where I get my inspiration for beer names. Every one of my beers is named for something or someone in the sci-fi or fantasy genre.

I love this. Can't wait for the final book. You also just inspired a name change for me.

Three Banners Brewing.

For the three banners of the Ta'veren.

I noticed your Kingkiller ale. I just started that series.

That is a great series also. One of my favorites. Rothfuss is awesome. Sadly he doesn't drink beer, but he does make his own mead, which is cool. He has this thing where he will sign books in exchange for something cool, so I am going to brew up another batch of the Kingkiller and send him a six pack along with a book to sign. :)

Tin Cup Brewing

Named after the tin mess cup that my grandfather carried in World War I. I loved to drink milk out of that when I visited him as a child. When he passed, my grandmother gave it to me. That cup is now sitting in my wife's china cabinet right next to the crystal.

That is a great series also. One of my favorites. Rothfuss is awesome. Sadly he doesn't drink beer, but he does make his own mead, which is cool. He has this thing where he will sign books in exchange for something cool, so I am going to brew up another batch of the Kingkiller and send him a six pack along with a book to sign. :)

That sounds awesome. Let me know how it works out, if you don't mind.

Mines 'Drunken Dwarf Brewery'. As I'm 5'1", stocky built and bearded, and love fantasy dwarves. Also the theme for my brew names too, I'm working on a mead called 'Copperhead Gold' atm, a reference to the dwarf mines in the Copperhead mountains from Pratchett's Discworld series.

I've dubbed my brewery name "Exile Brewing". It all started from my wife going back to school to work on her Masters. So whenever she needed some study time I would say I was going to exile (the garage) and the name stuck.

By the way, this has given me more than enough brew time to keep out of her hair.

Big Zep fan. Saw em 6 times in the 70-80's. Thus, Hammer of the Gods Brewery. They are always in the background on brew days.

My brewery is / will be Sir Michael's Brewery. Both my middle name and my brewing partner's middle is Michael. Our slogan will be "because brewing's our middle name."

I've always had a thing for VW's. My first car back in the late 80's was a '57 VW Karmann Ghia. I'm still kicking myself for selling it but it wasn't all that practical because the previous owner had installed a roll cage that took up the whole back seat.

Later on I bought a '65 VW Type 2 (Microbus) right about the same time I started getting into homebrewing. I drove it back from San Mateo, CA to Salt Lake City in freezing temps through three separate snow storms with no heat, no radio, and a max speed of around 65mph. It was a long cold trip. If you've ever seen the movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, it felt a lot like when John Candy and Steve Martin were driving down the road in the burnt out car singing Blue Moon of Kentucky. I remember hitting Wendover, NV and having to piss like a racehorse but I was too cold to get out, so I just kept on driving.

But I digress...so at the time I was really into the Microbus and (micro)brewing, so I merged the two and went with MicroBus Brewery.

My Brewery name is Dragon Run Brewing Company. The Dragon Run is a swamp in Eastern Virginia that I lived on growing up. Pretty much everything that I did growing up had something to do with that swamp (Hunting, Fishing, Hide and Seek, etc) so thought that was the best fit for me. I am currently getting a logo made and will post once it is done.

My wife is from Hawaii and we've always had a love of all things Tiki. Our last name is Greene so...

Greene Tiki Brewing

My wife is an unmotivated artist who is supposed to be designing the logo. I'll post once she gets it done.

With a last name like Oxley, I've been called Ox since I was in kindergarten, so when the boss told me I should come up with a name and a label, so while I'm still tinkering with label ideas, I did come up with Old Ox Beer for a family label. We'll see how that goes when I give all my coworkers a bottle for Christmas.

Tom Oxley

I love the Austin Powers movies...my favorite part was when he was drinking the stool sample and said "its a bit nutty".

So I figured "Nussig Hocker Brauhaus" rolled right off the tongue!

(Nutty Stool Brew House)

Both my wife and I are biologists... so keeping with the nerdy theme we went with The Microbe Brewery. Every beer i make I find a Microbe related theme to base the beer around. For example:

Powdery Mildew Pumpkin Ale - Powdery mildew is a disease that affects most squash varieties including pumpkins.

G. roseum Belgian Grapefruit Ale - G. roseum is a fungus that affects citrus trees.

Not all microbe themes have as good of a relationship as these two do... but its still fun!

Here are some other recipes I have ready to go: Diatomacious Dunkel, Necrotizing Nut Brown Ale, Montezuma's Revenge Chocolate Mole Porter, Flesh Eating Farmhouse Saison... etc

I really dont care if the names gross people out... if it does, more beer for me! :ban:

Here's some beer names and the name I gave to my garage when I started brewing.

1. Tigermilk Brew - tigermilk was a term coined in the prohibition meaning 'moonshine'. An IPA I make for the summer.
2. Horsefeathers - same era, meaning 'lies' or 'an unbelievable story'. Dry, leg-opening apple and pear cider.
3. Cellophane Saviour - a Tom Waits reference. Another pale ale.
4. Dead Horse Brew House. The name of my garage where I do all my brewing.

Rio Bravo Brewery
I live near the Rio Grande River. Mexicans call the Rio Grande, Rio Bravo. I live in a community and work with nearly all Hispanics so I thought it was funny for the white guy to have a Hispanic named brewery. Also the Rio Grande is very polluted so I also thought it was funny to use the name mocking the river.

Watershed Brewing Co.

Just started this hobby, but the name just popped in my head as I was staring at my little shed in behind my house where I do my brewing. It contains my pressure system for my well and "Watershed" just kinda rolls off the tongue. I was originally thinking "Pump House" or something, but Watershed can stretch over to the nature side of things as well so it's cool.

Although I keep kicking around Watershed Ale Works as well. We'll see which one sticks. . . considering my very first brew is still sitting in a carboy in the shed, I've got some time before I'm a rich and famous micro-brewery. . .

Back