Adding Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ness22

Reaction score
So I brewed an American Wheat using US-05 dry yeast, primary two weeks and then I transferred it into my 5 gal secondary so I could clean my 6 gal carboy before I added my fruit. I let it sit in the secondary over night and bought Oregon blackberries today. I poured them into my 6 gal ( wanted room for fermentation) and then racked my beer on top. It has been about 8 hours and there is no activity visibly or in my airlock. It's sitting at about 62*F so I'm just wondering if I need to wait longer or pitch more yeast or move to a warmer temp?? Any recommendations would be great thanks!!

Well I guess I didn't take another gravity reading because i assumed that adding all the fruit would raise the gravity. I did notice this morning though that some of the blackberries are white and floating on top, does that mean fermentation is going?

No. I usually just let my beer sit on the fruit for 10-14 days. I've got a blonde on some strawberries right now. It's been there a little over a week. I'd take a sample to check the gravity, and taste the sample to see if it's got enough flavor from the blackberries.

Back