Forbidden Fruit IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pm5k00

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @67
Tasting Notes
awesome, Tangerine, Grapefruit, Apple, Pear
recipe at 78% Efficiency
36869365.jpg

Awesome IPA, you can taste Tangerine, and Grapefruit when its green, and after in ages for a week or two you can taste Apple and a hint of Pear too, very good malt backbone to support all the hop flavors and bitterness.

Forbidden Fruit IPA
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 5.5
Total Grain (lb): 12.500
Total Hops (oz): 5.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.070 (°P): 17.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.01 %
Colour (SRM): 7.9 (EBC): 15.6
Bitterness (IBU): 72.9 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 78
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
10.000 lb Pale Ale Malt (80%)
1.000 lb Cane Sugar (8%)
1.000 lb Crystal 20 (8%)
0.500 lb Honey Malt (4%)

Hop Bill
----------------
1.00 oz Summit Pellet (15.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Calypso Pellet (12.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Amarillo Pellet (8.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Amarillo Pellet (8.2% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop) (0.1 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Calypso Pellet (12.8% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop) (0.1 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 152°F for 75 Minutes.
Fermented at 67°F with Safale US-05

Notes
----------------
yeast was harvested from a 24oz bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, then steped up in a small starter, then pitched into 1 gallon batch of Simcoe Pale Ale, then washed and pitched to Forbidden Fruit IPA.

Dry Hoped in Keg.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Edit: re-brewed with healthier yeast, 1.075 to 1.012.... 8.1% ABV, drier and better.

I've got two pounds of Calypso and a pound of Amarillo that I've been itching to use and this looks like an awesome recipe. I plan on doing a 10gal batch of this one half I'll DH as per your recipe and the other with some Sorachie Ace I have but haven't used before. Thanks for posting this. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Thanks, please let me know what you think of it after you have brewed it. I recently made another batch with 50/50 amarillo / summit for the 90 minute addition and this toned down the tangerine flavor a little... both ways came out great.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

I thought that 68% was a little low for 05 mine is always almost near 80%. I decided to scrap the sorachi DH. I got a chance to take a whiff of some and it was awful they smelled like I put my face in a pound of dill(I love the smell of dill but in a beer just seems wrong). Think I might try a combo of Amarillo and Citra.
I'm gonna brew this for my New Years party so I'll let ya know how it turns out then.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Yes when I use us-05 I usually get 75-80% attenuation, but the yeast I used in the original batch was built up from dregs from one 24oz bottle of SN pale ale, so the yeast might not have been in the best of shape.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

@jheld00 was wondering if you made this and how it came out for you.

I did. I scaled it down a bit to get it closer to a pale ale and added a 1/2 half pound of Briess Special Roast(had it laying around) I'll be kegging it Wednesday. I tasted the hydrometer sample and it was great! Some very noticeable pear notes which work well with the malts. I'll report back with more tasting notes next weekend.

just brewed this again with 2 packs of us-05 and it got down from 1.075 to 1.012.... 8.1% ABV this has become an Imperial IPA. My efficiency has improved, I routinely get about 82-84% now so thats why the bump in OG and lots of rehydrated us-05 did its thing to dry it out some more. I like it even better than the last batch.

Frankiesurf said:
I like your tasting notes.

Is "awesome" official technical terminology?

:D

Thank you, and yes it is where I come from (CA not TX)

Friends,

I'm about to brew up a batch of this, hopefully for a cast party at the end of march. I was just wondering if there was any advice you could offer or anything special I should know. Right now I'm planning to brew-in-a-bag with a little extra grain to maintain efficiency. I also intend to make a 500 ml yeast starter. My primary fermenter is a 6.5 gallon glass carboy; I need to buy a new secondary, I'm thinking a standard plastic brewing bucket. Anything else I should know about this recipe?

P.s. I'll be substituting Amarillo whole leaf hops for the Amarillo pellets

Hmm..I'm subbed. Looking to get rid of some Amarillo and I love fruity IPAs. Would probably replace bittering charge with CTZ. I'll let you know if I brew it.

Friends,

I'm about to brew up a batch of this, hopefully for a cast party at the end of march. I was just wondering if there was any advice you could offer or anything special I should know. Right now I'm planning to brew-in-a-bag with a little extra grain to maintain efficiency. I also intend to make a 500 ml yeast starter. My primary fermenter is a 6.5 gallon glass carboy; I need to buy a new secondary, I'm thinking a standard plastic brewing bucket. Anything else I should know about this recipe?

P.s. I'll be substituting Amarillo whole leaf hops for the Amarillo pellets

As far as the cane sugar goes, I would either add it in the last 5 minutes of the boil, or at day 3 or 4 of fermentation (when fermentation starts to slow down). If you choose the later add some to 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, then cool to 70ish before you add it.

You can secondary if you want, I never do with IPAs personally, I like to drink them asap. It Will be even better with whole hops.

Hmm..I'm subbed. Looking to get rid of some Amarillo and I love fruity IPAs. Would probably replace bittering charge with CTZ. I'll let you know if I brew it.

That will change the flavor some, I definitely get a tangerine flavor from the FWH of Summit, but I'm sure it will still come out great with Columbus.

A

That will change the flavor some, I definitely get a tangerine flavor from the FWH of Summit, but I'm sure it will still come out great with Columbus.

Hmm thanks for calling my attention to the fact it's a FWH and you like it's flavor contribution. I might brew it as is in that case.

Just put a batch of this in the fermenter last night. My efficiency wasn't as good as I had hoped, but that's what I get for brewing without a mashtun. As long as my yeast starter wasn't contaminated I think it'll still be a fine brew.

I ended up making this over the weekend, since I had all the hops on hand. I forgot the sugar but I think it will still end up good. I will report once I start drinking it.

strikertown said:
I ended up making this over the weekend, since I had all the hops on hand. I forgot the sugar but I think it will still end up good. I will report once I start drinking it.

If you want the higher abv you can add the sugar to fermenter, I like to do it at day 3 or 4 of fermentation. It will help to dry it out too.

hi, I would make this recipe...but in Italy can't find calypso

what is the best hops to replace it? cascade?

thanks

Bravo should give you similar results to calypso... palisade would pair nice also.

I brewed this last week during our tropical storm/almost hurricane. My lhbs didn't have calypso so I subbed citra.

My efficiency was horrible, the SG ended up only 1.063. So far the us05 has it down to 1.007 after 6 days and the krausen has died down. I have never wanted to drink the entire sample. It's very young but tastes amazing.

Thanks for the recipe. I know I will use it again.

-Eric

Latest posts

Back