Pulling the trigger, make sure I have this right please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
Okay so the wife got tired of the seamlessly never ending supply of bottles taking over the garage and gave me approval to convert the garage fridge into a kegarator. It's your standard height fridge with the freezer on top and the plastic pull out drawers on bottom for fruits and veggies.

Here's my plan:

1) Empty the fridge including the shelves.
2) Drill a hole in the left wall of the fridge (left if you are facing it) large enough for the shank.
3) Attach Shank and tighten it down.
4) Attach the High 69 CO2 regulator directly to the 5lb Alluminum CO2 tank.
5) Attach the hose coming out of the regulator to the input on the keg.
6) Attach the hose from the shank to the output on the keg.
7) Pressurize to 30lbs and bleed out the air.
8) Leave at 30lbs for 1 week.
9) After 1 week drop pressure to 11lbs.
10) Drink and enjoy.

Am I missing anything obvious? I'm planning on using this kit from Kegcowboy. I can get a referb keg from my LHBS, I may still replace the rings for good measure though.

if you drill through the side and hit a coolant line, the fridge is toast. Most go through the door as it is safe to drill through and moves your shank out of the way when it comes to moving kegs

How many kegs do you plan to have on tap at a time? Only one?

What temp. will the fridge be set to? Will you need a separate temp. controller to get to your desired serving temp?

Leaving at 30-PSI for a week will most likely over-carbonate your beer. I'd suggest researching the proper ways to carbonate (natural vs. force vs. burst) before proceeding.

Consider purchasing a gas manifold so you can share the incoming gas line between multiple kegs. This way you can have kegs carbonating while you are drinking from another keg.

Yea 30 psi is too much if you are keeping the beer at serving temps (assuming that is high 30's low 40's). I would leave the beer at 10-12 psi depending on your desired carb level.

Thanks for all the info. The fridge is all mine so I can set it to whatever temp I need.

I'm just doing a single tap system. Although the gas manifold idea has me interested so my back up keg will be ready to go after the primary is emptied.

Good info about going through the door instead of the side! The only reason I was doing side is so I wouldn't have to mess with hoses getting caught in stuff.

I obviously need to do more reading on carbonation, but hardware wise it looks like I'm mostly good right? IF I go through the door and can get my fridge to 40F?

I usually set the regulator to 30 psi and start checking it at 3 days. 3-4 days is typically adequate.

Nice work on convincing the wife that you need to keg. I think that's how most of us propose the change (no more bottles taking up space, less time spent away from the family, etc).

You also dont necessarily need a manifold to have more than one beer on carb at a time. You could just buy a simple tee splitter and disconnects on each end. That way you can be carbing your second keg while the first one is being served. A quality disconnect will not leak if left unhooked.

I usually leave mine on 30psi for 1-2 days, then back to serving pressure. Go for as many kegs/taps as you can fit! I have 2 taps, and am already planning on a keezer so I can have more! Good luck!

Back