Pitching New Yeast...Will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelikesit2000

Reaction score
So this IIPA went from 1.104 OG to 1.030 and seems to have stopped or finished. It was in the primary for 8 days and has been in the secondary for about 5 days. It tastes great at almost 9%. It is lust not as dry as I would want. In hopes of drying it out a bit more I pitched a bit of mead yeast(thats what I had on hand). If it does not start back up a bit in a day or so I will have to just be satisfied with what I have.

How much yeast did you pitch originally, and what kind? Did you aerate your wort very well? Did you use a starter?

All of these things have could have some impact on the current state of 1.030.

Why did you move it to secondary before it was finished fermenting to begin with? You took it off all that happening yeast that was best suited to do the job to begin with???

How much yeast did you pitch originally, and what kind? Did you aerate your wort very well? Did you use a starter?

All of these things have could have some impact on the current state of 1.030.

I used a wlp060 starter, and shook the crap out of the carboy.

Why did you move it to secondary before it was finished fermenting to begin with? You took it off all that happening yeast that was best suited to do the job to begin with???

I know, I should have left it in the primary longer. I only have two carboys, a 6 gal (primary), and a 5 gal (secondary). I needed to brew a hef because I have been short on time. I wanted these beers done by Superbowl. Live and Learn.

I know, I should have left it in the primary longer. I only have two carboys, a 6 gal (primary), and a 5 gal (secondary). I needed to brew a hef because I have been short on time. I wanted these beers done by Superbowl. Live and Learn.

But you were making a big beer??? Why sabotage something?

Fermenters are cheap, you could have bought a bucket if you had to brew a hef.

I'm sorry to come down hard on you, but now you have to attempt to fix something, and you want us to make suggestions, because you had your priorties screwed up....

This is what happens when you take beer away from yeast...and that's why a lot of us don't secondary any more, or at least wait til fermentation is complete before you rack away from the yeastcake....

All I can suggest is to pitch more yeast and hope...

But you were making a big beer??? Why sabotage something?

Fermenters are cheap, you could have bought a bucket if you had to brew a hef.

I'm sorry to come down hard on you, but now you have to attempt to fix something, and you want us to make suggestions, because you had your priorties screwed up....

This is what happens when you take beer away from yeast...and that's why a lot of us don't secondary any more, or at least wait til fermentation is complete before you rack away from the yeastcake....

All I can suggest is to pitch more yeast and hope...

Don't be sorry. I apprieciate the counsel. I have learned a vital lesson. Worst case, I will still be drinking a still pretty darn tasty IPA.

yeast nutrient, bit of fresh sugar and a little heat might help. seeing as you already added more yeast.

yeast nutrient, bit of fresh sugar and a little heat might help. seeing as you already added more yeast.

I mixed some nutrient in the yeast before I pitched it. I called my wife a little bit ago and she said it looked like a lot of little bubbles on the surface.

I would be happy if it got down to 1.020ish. we'll see

So this is down to 1.026 as of last night. It taste great. I have added 8oz. of Amarillo to the secondary. I plan to leave it for another 10 days while on vacation. It's currently at 10.2% not to bad.

PS- I dub this IIPA "Amarillo Dream", Because with a pound of hops, and 10.2%abv, you will sleep well after drinking a glass of this.:drunk:

I drank what was in the hydrometer flask last night. Tasted really good at 68* and no carb. I am not saying it's in its prime, but man it was good!

Just transfered this to a keg. It fermented down to 1.024. Makes it about 10.5%. Tastes great. It is a bit sweet. Think I will tweek this a little next time.

Latest posts

Back