What is the amount of priming sugar to use for a porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmars63

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. I have a question about the amount of priming sugar to use for the Vanilla Porter I'm brewing. (Recipe listed below) The last batch of beer I brewed came out way overcarbonated so I'm a little concerned about this one. The brewery recommended using 3/4 of a cup of priming sugar. However the tasty brew calculator (http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html) is telling me to use just under half a cup. I don't want this batch to turn out overcarbonated again. Please help! Also I was considering adding cold brewed coffee at the bottling stage. Would I have to add more priming sugar to offset the oils from the coffee?

Urca Vanilla Porter - Malt Extract Recipe Minimize
STEEPING GRAINS
AMT

NAME

ORIGIN
0.88 lbs Medium Crystal (55-70L) Great Britain
0.75 lbs Flaked Barley America
0.5 lbs Aromatic Malt Belgium
0.5 lbs Chocolate Malt Great Britain
0.5 lbs Special B Malt Belgium
0.25 lbs Black Patent Malt Great Britain
EXTRACTS
AMT

TYPE
6 lbs Amber Liquid
HOP SCHEDULE
AMT

NAME

BOIL TIME
2.75 oz Willamette (4.0 AAU) 30 min
0.25 oz Centennial (10.0 AAU) 10 min
YEAST CHOICES
LAB

STRAIN
White Labs WLP001 California Ale
Wyeast 1056 American Ale
SafAle US-56
GENERAL INFORMATION
VARIABLE

TARGET/EXPECTED
OG 1.061 (15.0 Plato)
FG 1.018 (4.6 Plato)
ABV 5.3%
PROCESS NOTES

During your brew session, chop up five vanilla beans, and put them in a sealable glass bowl. Pour white rum (or another neutral sterilizing alcohol) into the bowl to just above the level of the beans. Seal the bowl and let sit during primary. Add the beans to the secondary fermenter before racking.

I would use 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup if you want low carbonation levels. That is at the low end of the brown porter carb spectrum.

You might want to consider using brown sugar as a priming sugar...I used some for my stout and I love how it added to the mouthfeel and taste. If you do a quick search, there are a few threads on the forum that relate to how much to use.

The amount of priming sugar you add is going to vary based on your style, the temperature of the beer at bottling, the volume of beer you've brewed, and the type of sugar you're using. You can calculate exactly how much to add using TastyBrew's priming calculator.

Pericles-
I'm aware of TastyBrew's priming calculator, hence why I made this thread. The recipe calls for 3/4 of a cup of priming sugar but the TB calculator (with the highest desired carbonation level for a porter) is less than 1/2 a cup. That's a big difference. I was hoping to find out what other people usually use.

I would use the TastyBrew amount. 3/4 cup is pretty high carbonation. I only ever use that for beers that are remarked as "effervescent" or similar high carbonation in the style guidelines.

Follow the tasty-brew calculator. I have two reasons why:

(1) It's never steered me wrong.
(2) If the brewery actually gave you a recommended amount of priming sugar measured in cups, then it's a guesstimate. Trust the calculator over an off-hand guess.

4.5 to 5.5oz of sugar(corn sugar) is what I use for my beers depending on volume of course! I like a good amount of carbonation though. I do not brew to style guidelines unless I am entering a contest. I brew what I like and if others like it then I am ahead of the game!

I prefer to weigh my sugar, it gives more accuracy and better consistency when priming but that is what I do! Measuring cup is good too!

When adding the coffee, if you are adding a lot like a half-gallon or more then you may want to recheck your priming sugar amount but if it just a few cups, I would not add more sugar.

One nice thing is if you make detailed notes and do not like the results of this batch you can always adjust for future brews!

Good luck and keep on brewing!

Thanks guys! I'm going to use the TB calculations. I'm only going to be adding 18oz of concentrated coffee so I guess I wont need to compensate for that with additional priming sugar. I'll let you know how it goes.

I also agree that doing priming sugar by weight is better. You can't be sure how much sugar is packed into that measuring cup.

Back