CO2 Refills in NJ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D2T

Brew Monkey
Reaction score
Title says it all...does anyone know of a place in NJ that will refill a co2 tank (not exchange)?

I'm building a kegerator out of a 15cf chest freezer, and most of my parts arrive on Saturday. I did make one mistake (now that I look back) and ordered a brand new 10lb tank and I know once the fiancee sees it, she won't want a dirty old one in her house instead. ;) After checking around though, it seems most places do exchange-only for tanks..at least the places I called.

I live in Morristown, but since I won't need to fill a 10lb tank very often it doesn't really matter if it's a little bit of a drive.

Ol' Grog said:
check the yellow pages for welding supplies. Surely someplace will fill it.

Called about 8 different shops in the area. Exchange only :( Looks like I may just have to go that route.

Down here in DE I take my to the fire extinguisher place. They fill mine up while I wait. I think they charge $18 for a #20 tank.

Try the paintball people. They usually have some cheap c02 filler outfits they deal with. I found a local beer distributor that fills paintball tanks and any co2 tanks, ($6.00 to fill my 5lb tank).

I was just going to say, call a paintball place. I belive paintball depot in the Kenvil plaza on Rt. 46 does refill our tanks. Give them a call, its prob. about a 15min. drive for you.

I live in Hopatcong and own a store in Ledgewood :tank:

I am thread ressurector!

The database link above is broken, and I'm looking for someone to refill tanks in north NJ without exchanging. I'm in Lake Hopatcong.

I called a bunch of places and it was exchange only, except for the one paintball place I called who wanted $38 to fill a 20# tank.

-Joe

Road trip! Come down to New Brunswick for a pint at Harvest moon and stop at Reliable Carbonic $20 while you wait on a 20 pound tank.
I was just in New Brunswick on Sat :) I haven't been to Harvest Moon in forever. I could fill up my two growlers while I'm at it. I've even got a Harvest Moon growler cooler :D

-Joe

I am thread ressurector!

The database link above is broken, and I'm looking for someone to refill tanks in north NJ without exchanging. I'm in Lake Hopatcong.

I called a bunch of places and it was exchange only, except for the one paintball place I called who wanted $38 to fill a 20# tank.

-Joe

Adams Fire Protection in Rockaway will fill up your CO2 tank.

600 Mt. Hope Rd

He is located behind the Mt. Hope Fire Dept across the street from the Tilcon quarry entrance. PM me if you need the phone number (it's at work and I'm at home) or more info. He charged me $20 even for a 20lb tank.

Just as an FYI, any store of this sort that actually fills the tanks on-site will be able to fill your tank for you, all you have to do is ask that they fill YOUR tank. They will just treat it as it is, a customer owned tank. A 20# takes all of 3 or 4 minutes to fill.

Adams Fire Protection in Rockaway will fill up your CO2 tank.

600 Mt. Hope Rd

He is located behind the Mt. Hope Fire Dept across the street from the Tilcon quarry entrance. PM me if you need the phone number (it's at work and I'm at home) or more info. He charged me $20 even for a 20lb tank.

Since I started the resurrected thread, I feel the need to comment. This is where I go now as well. A buddy homebrewer turned me on to it. Great place!

(My turn to resurrect this one)....

Since recently finishing my kegerator...I too have been looking for co2. This past weekend asked my beer guy at the liquor store and he pointed me to 'County Welding Supply' in Wharton and 'Middlesex Welding Sale' in North Brunswick.

I think I am going to give Reliable Carbonic (Bobby M's recommendation) a whirl down in New Brunswick since it is relatively close to my office. :ban:

So i found City Fire Equipment Company 733 Ridgedale Avenue, East Hanover NJ 07936 Phone: (973) 560-1600 cityfire.com. I went and filled my 10# tank for 15.50. and that was a fill not exchange.

I think I overheard them saying 11, I think. But i will ask next time. it'll be a while i think this 10# will last. If you needed it soon there is a phone # on the site

Sweet, perfect. This thread is great for me. lol. Thanks guys.

Add another Bernardsville guy to the pack. If you see Sampson and I walking follow him to beer. He's the little brown Jack Russel terrier mix. I'm the 30ft tall behemoth on the other end of the leash.

Anyone know of a place in Cape May County? Just got my system up and running that I had stored for awhile and there was only a little air left in it.

Since this thread is alive...for any Monmouth County people who don't want to visit Reliable Carbonic; my job is right by Seaboard Welding Supply. I have an antique of a 3lb tank that they had were able to pressure test, stamp, and fill in about a week. If i just needed a fill, i probably could have waited. I think i paid $30 total for the testing/fill combined. I think the fill was about $5-7, but i don't recall. It was cheap though.

2112 Kings Hwy
Ocean, NJ 07712
(732) 493-8100

They also carry a HUGE line of cylinder, regulators, guages, etc. They have a section just for beverage dispensing. They also do nitrogen.

Not a plug. Just my $0.02.

So i found City Fire Equipment Company 733 Ridgedale Avenue, East Hanover NJ 07936 Phone: (973) 560-1600 cityfire.com. I went and filled my 10# tank for 15.50. and that was a fill not exchange.

That is literally a mile from my house. I forgot they were there. Do you need to call ahead?

theres also Airgas in pompton lakes, they do fill ups there but if the guy who does the actually filling isn't there they only do exchanges.....exit 56 or 57 off 287,..not bad from morristown, i basically drive that route for work so,......its about 20 miles, maybe a little more

Learned something new today. Welding supply places do not have beverage grade gas. Meaning they actually have oil in them. A beverage place has no oil it's called pure gas.
Another vote for reliable carbonics in New Brunswick. Only A dollar a pound.

Approved Fire Safety on 115 St. Nicholis Ave. in South Plainfield, NJ. very nice people, no waiting. reasonable prices $19/20#. Just off 287, exit 4 north, exit 5 south a few turns and your there. their # is 908-755-2222

NORTH JERSEY CO2
11 bucks for 5 lb. tank. @ Sos Gases IncSos Gases Inc IN Kearny, NJ

about 4 miles from me woohoo! only thing is they have bankers hours.

Went to Airgas East in Oakland NJ this morning, they do a refill if your tank is stamped for $17. Apparently they only fill from 8am - 1 or 2pm, so call in advance.

Approved Fire Safety on 115 St. Nicholis Ave. in South Plainfield, NJ. very nice people, no waiting. reasonable prices $19/20#. Just off 287, exit 4 north, exit 5 south a few turns and your there. their # is 908-755-2222

$19 for 20lb is definitely reasonable but that's not what they quoted me. I got my hydro done there for $12 but I think they wanted another $30 for the fill. That's when I passed and drove over to Reliable Carbonic. I'll have to see if AFS changed their prices because they're just as close to me.

I have to agree with the others, Reliable Carbonic is awesome. I was in and out in less then 5 minutes.

Back