Kegerator conversion question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1978

Reaction score
I'm getting a 3.6 cu ft fridge tomorrow, i will be adding a 6 inch collar/cuff to the front and reattaching the door so i can squeeze 2 cornies and 1 5lb co2 tank. My question is: Is it nessecary to add a temp. control unit to the fridge, or can the unit maintain the temp as-is? I would like to build this thing without spending much cash. Obviously it would benifit to have one, but being the holidays money is tight, so if i can get away without it.... Thanks for your opinion! Also, is a fan (muffin fan ) nessecary?

You only need temp controllers for freezers, where the typical operating temperature is below freezing. For a fridge, the typical operating temperature is good for serving beer as-is.

I'm getting a 3.6 cu ft fridge tomorrow, i will be adding a 6 inch collar/cuff to the front and reattaching the door so i can squeeze 2 cornies and 1 5lb co2 tank. My question is: Is it nessecary to add a temp. control unit to the fridge, or can the unit maintain the temp as-is? I would like to build this thing without spending much cash. Obviously it would benifit to have one, but being the holidays money is tight, so if i can get away without it.... Thanks for your opinion! Also, is a fan (muffin fan ) nessecary?

Could you post pics of build?

I'm considering benefits of kegerator vs keezer. very interesed in front collar/ cuff for one of these units. also having a hard time finding one w/o a freezer.

Many of us going this way would appreciate!

If you have a tower, a fan is necessary, unless you enjoy a glass of foam on the first pour. Use a computer fan, their very cheap, there's a million threads on them.:mug:

looking to use a tower, hopefully, where does the fan get mounted? new to keezers/kegerators. I have a fan from an old mac sitting here. where does it get mounted/wired in?

Buddy may do keezer (more space) I'm probably looking at smaller kegerator. can always use his for lagering that my fermenter. if need be.

I will document the build with some pics.

Wildwest-I love a tall glass of foam, doesn't everybody?!?

I wouldnt say its necessary for a fan in the tower. I have only had issues when its really hot, but 70 F or below and I dont have many issues with foaming. That being said, it is recommended :p But I would make it a last priority, get that thing up and running first. Adding a collar to a fridge can be a pain. Might I give you a little advice as I made some mistakes in my build...

When you put the 1 inch support feet on the front of the collar (so it doesn't rip off the fridge), make sure they are inset a little to the inside or you will have no where to mount the door hinge.

I found that my door didnt seal as well as I would like so I put a latch on it that helps make a nice tight seal. Because you no longer have the magnetic connection of the fridge or that nice flat seal for the door it can cause issues with the seal.

And lastly I went to a hardware store and got some double stick soft foam insulation (2 in wide) and put that between the wood and the fridge for a nice tight seal.

Another thing I did, I painted my collar with a paint called Kilz, it stops mold from growing. I figured that since I would be putting beer in this guy and for sure would spill now and then I would be nice to now have to worry about mold, so far it has worked.

Lastly, this one is for starrfish, you can use a fridge with a freezer. Just bring the fridge up to room temp, make sure all the copper piping is at room temp not still frozen and bend the freezer down. As long as everything is warmed up it all bends really easy. The key is to just go slow and make sure you dont kink it. Of course it would be ideal to have one without the freezer they are just a lot harder to find.

Back