krausen never fell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
i brewed an IPA on july 6th. i havent even opened the fermenter till this evening. when i went to check the gravity i noticed the krausen was still up top in a thick(crunchy) sheet. i poked the thief through it and the beer tasted fine and the gravity was ready for kegging.

should i knock the krausen lose and wait for it to fall or should i just keg?

Sometimes that happens, but it's not common. It's especially prevalent in a couple of yeast strains, and unusual in others. It doesn't matter, though- You can just rack from underneath the krausen. It'll be fine.

That's weird. I suggest just racking from under it. Don't knock it back down, it'll just take longer for it to clear.

-Steve

sweet. i hate having this technology it makes me such a ***** i have to ask everything. if i didnt have this forum i would just try so many things on my own.

It's doing the same thing on my IPA (now on day 13), although it's more of a moist, almost gooey consistency (thinking I used too much Irish Moss...). As long as your gravity readings are right, I'd do like everyone said, and just rack from under the loaf.

sweet. i hate having this technology it makes me such a ***** i have to ask everything. if i didnt have this forum i would just try so many things on my own.

But now you can save your experimenting for things that others have never done either and then contribute to the ever growing beer knowledge.

I have learned way more here than I did in my first decade of brewing alone.

Back