Dead Guy Troubles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbrout

Reaction score
I brewed Yooper's Dead Guy Clone (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/dead-guy-clone-extract-ag-see-note-25902/) 2 weeks ago today. Everything went great during the brew except my OG finished at 1.08 instead of 1.066. I didn't think much of it, assuming after all, this is extract and it mayyyy not be mixed well. Anywho, i rehydrated Safale 05 and pitched at ~65 degrees. Fermentation started overnight and had nice bubbling in the airlock that lasted about 11 days at an average 63 degrees..

I was leaving town on the 11th day so I just figured I'd let it sit another 3. I arrive home today, there were no bubbling (i know this isn't how you should tell if fermentation has stopped--Hydro for 3 consecutive days, but i figure 14 days instead of 10 and at 63 degrees instead of 60 it should be done) clean my secondary, etc, and transfer.

I took a hydro reading during this time and it's at 1.022... -_- and it is a tad bit sweet even though I over-hopped. Now it's sitting in secondary at 63 degrees and I'm not sure what i should expect from it. I assume it still has enough yeast to continue fermentation if it is in fact not finished, but if not i have some extra notty around. This is only my 3rd brew and am just looking for some input on how to get the FG down and take that awful sweetness out.

Thanks for your time :mug:

1. Warm it up to 70.

2. Sanitize your mash paddle and stir gently or swirl the yeast up once it warms.

3. Repeat 2 until you hit 1.016

Nice Subject... I figured it was a 50/50 shot, beer problems or a dead hobo in your yard.

I agree with warming it up, but I wouldn't stir it at all. It's about done, and oxygenating it now will ruin it. You want to protect it from oxygen, and definitely don't want to aerate it.

See if you can get it near 70 degrees, and see if it'll drop any more at all. It might get to 1.018 or so, which would be fine. Typical attenuation for S05 is 70% or so, so you've already surpassed that. You may not get it any lower than it is right now, but it's definitely worth a try!

My second brew was a Belgian Wit. I took a reading after 10 days and was only at 1.020, gave it a swirl with the lid back on and it took off again. Four days later, I'm down to 1.010 and if it is still at that in 3 days I will be bottling.

I typically get my DGA down from 1.070 to 1.018 with US-05 - Warm it up and let it go another week, you should get another point or two but you might not. Repitching will not help anything IMO, more time and a little warmer temp is your best chance of dropping it any more at all. Even if it's truly done at 1.022 it's still a strong malty beer and will taste better when carbed.

Thanks for the help everyone. Moved it to a constant ~69 degree water bath. =]

I agree with warming it up, but I wouldn't stir it at all. It's about done, and oxygenating it now will ruin it. You want to protect it from oxygen, and definitely don't want to aerate it.

I have read several times on here that people sanitize their paddle, racking cane or something that will allow them to GENTLY stir up the yeast on the bottom of the fermenter. I have never done this, but have on occasion given the carboy a few quick twists (Keep them on a countertop in the basement). I believe this achieves the same end, getting the yeast back into suspension.

Yooper has a lot more experience than I do, so I would defer to the person who has 250+ batches under her belt than my 25.

Back