How often do you have to "verify" your inventory?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Man, what a chore.

Over the years I find that I have used stuff I thought I had on hand, hoarded more of something than I thought I had, forgotten to remove things from inventory on brewday, or just plain forgot I had something.

So, recently I have been going through my inventory and making sure I get it into BeerSmith for tracking. Hops alone was a pain. I found I have a total of 6 pounds between pellets and HG Leaf. I really gotta make some hoppy stuff to brew that down. I also found out I have about 20 packets of dry yeast. The yeast I am not too concerned about, it'll keep and they are less than a year old. I just can't figure out why I have so many.

Now I am into grain and dreading it. For the most part I can just scale the sack to get an idea of how many pounds are in there. But, I had a sack of MO that tore and I had to dump the grain straight into the bin for storage.

So, now I gotta weigh out that sack 4 pounds at a time. I should get a bigger scale but, so far this one has been fine.

Uggh.

Man, what a chore.

Over the years I find that I have used stuff I thought I had on hand, hoarded more of something than I thought I had, forgotten to remove things from inventory on brewday, or just plain forgot I had something.

So, recently I have been going through my inventory and making sure I get it into BeerSmith for tracking. Hops alone was a pain. I found I have a total of 6 pounds between pellets and HG Leaf. I really gotta make some hoppy stuff to brew that down. I also found out I have about 20 packets of dry yeast. The yeast I am not too concerned about, it'll keep and they are less than a year old. I just can't figure out why I have so many.

Now I am into grain and dreading it. For the most part I can just scale the sack to get an idea of how many pounds are in there. But, I had a sack of MO that tore and I had to dump the grain straight into the bin for storage.

So, now I gotta weigh out that sack 4 pounds at a time. I should get a bigger scale but, so far this one has been fine.

Uggh.

I buy everything I need the day before or the day of brew day. It is just easier for me.

Is the bin too big to lift? Can you just lift the bin with you on a bathroom scale and mark the difference?

Well, I figured the weight of a sack is neglible as an impact on a 10 gallon batch. I guess you are right tho', the weight of the bin itself shouldn;t be more than a pound or 2.

I use the inventory feature in Beer Alchemy to automatically deduct planned/brewed batches from my stores. Anytime I get any new sizable batches of ingredients in, I double-check for accuracy.

Look into one of the WeighMax digital scales....they top off at 75 lb. :)

My biggest complaint is that beersmith doesn't take items out of inventory as you use them, unless I'm missing something. And if I am please tell me. I've had too many brew days go a little differently than planned due to thinking I had something in stock and turned out I didn't.

My biggest complaint is that beersmith doesn't take items out of inventory as you use them, unless I'm missing something. And if I am please tell me. I've had too many brew days go a little differently than planned due to thinking I had something in stock and turned out I didn't.

"After brewing, you can also remove all of the ingredients used for a
recipe from your inventory with a single button. Select the recipe and
use the Remove from Inventory command on the Actions menu to​
remove all of the ingredients in the recipe from your inventory."

I don't have BeerSmith here with me at work. I waste too much time on HBT to have any morte time to wast on BeerSmith at work but, I am pretty sure there is a Button next to BrewSheet that does this.

It doesn;t "remember" what you have already removed so, if you remove the ingredients, then tweak it as you go on brewday, and remove again, it will remove everything (twice).

Also, you have to remember to tell it to remove for it to have any use. Which is the core of my problem.

Back