My Basement Bar Build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungry4hops

Hop to it!
Reaction score
Just starting to build our basement bar! We have lived in our house a little over two years and finally have finished all of our other projects & were excited for our basement remodel & bar build! We had to remove a closet and basement walls. I will be ripping out the carpet and will be installing new flooring. We also started painting the walls and trim! I am using this thread to track my progress. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated! :mug:

The first & second picture is before I ripped out the closet that was there when we moved in. It was just full of crap and smelly wood paneling!

The third is the closet removed as well as the wood paneling. As I was ripping out the wall, I thought I had saw spots of black mold. It turns out it was painted dice on the wall. This basement must have been rockin back in the day! :ban:

The next 2 pics is the new wall is framed out, ran new wires & cables & then insulation is installed & removed closet pull string lights & installed recessed lighting to match the other existing lights. You can also see in this picture the tape outline of the future bar.

IMG_20121217_210420.jpg

2012-12-17_21-09-16_694.jpg

IMG_20130112_170555.jpg

2013-01-13_19-10-31_233.jpg

IMG_20130117_192749.jpg

none of the pics seem to be showing up for me. I usually do not have an issue with viewing photos.

Here are a couple pictures of the other side of this basement. New wall & ceiling paint, just have to paint the woodwork white before we install the new flooring!! My wife was drinking some mead celebrating our progress!! She also took the pics!!

IMG_20130114_203507.jpg

IMG_20130117_192824.jpg

Is that your foundation wall behind those studs? What is is made of? Looks almost like either crumbling concrete or field stone agregate.

Is that your foundation wall behind those studs? What is is made of? Looks almost like either crumbling concrete or field stone agregate.

Its a layer of concrete over top of a stone foundation that's crumbling its cosmetic not structural. I can take a pic of the foundation outside tomorrow to show you if you want!

No it's cool...I just couldn't tell what I was looking at and curiosity got the better of me...so I asked:D. My inlaws live in a home built in 1790 and there basment walls look just like that.

So im kind of on hold for a while I ordered a tv mount and a "in the wall" hdmi cable, so I can run it in the wall from the tv to the bar!

View attachment 95357

This is the corner where the tv will be mounted I need the mount to find out where to position the wood which will be my mounting point. There will also be an outlet, hdmi, and a cable that runs to the bar

View attachment 95358

On this wall there will be an outlet, cable to the tv, cable for fios, hdmi, and left and right speaker jacks (the wire runs through the ceiling encase I decide to install speakers in the future

I was able to put up some drywall today, I also converted my kegorator (which is in the living room during the build) to hold 2 cornies and kegged my first beer! Its just a nothing fancy plain lager, I still need to install a dual tower but I have a picnic faucet for the second keg for now

ForumRunner_20130119_161639.jpg

ForumRunner_20130119_161701.jpg

ForumRunner_20130119_161713.jpg

Still waiting for parts to arrive in the mail! In the mean time went and picked up the flooring and started going over the plans for the bar. I got the plans from a website: http://www.precision-images.com/ to build the L-shaped bar. The plans call for wood and quarter round to "make" an arm rail, but I think I would rather buy arm rail, does anyone know a good place to buy it?

ForumRunner_20130123_190125.jpg

IMG_20130123_185625-1.jpg

I made my own, but almost any local millwork place, ougth to either be able to mill it for you, or order it. Last time I checked on prices chicago style bar rail was around $26 dollars a foot for red oak, and $36 for cherry. There probably are a few places that you can order from online, but the shipping is going to kill you. If your handy enough to remodel like your doing and build a bar, you are capable of making it yourself, and saving a big pile o cash. Really a good table saw, router, and miter saw are all you need. The lumber you will need is 10/4 thickness, and since your doing all the millwork, save even more money by buying rough sawn lumber.

I've constructed the same bar as the plans you showed. It was very fun to break out the ole wood working skills again. 5 years ago it held empty beer cans and such but now it holds all my beer making supplies. Lol

I made my own, but almost any local millwork place, ougth to either be able to mill it for you, or order it. Last time I checked on prices chicago style bar rail was around $26 dollars a foot for red oak, and $36 for cherry. There probably are a few places that you can order from online, but the shipping is going to kill you. If your handy enough to remodel like your doing and build a bar, you are capable of making it yourself, and saving a big pile o cash. Really a good table saw, router, and miter saw are all you need. The lumber you will need is 10/4 thickness, and since your doing all the millwork, save even more money by buying rough sawn lumber.

I think I would rather buy one, im too afraid of putting all the time and effort into making one and either screwing it up or just not being happy with it.

I've constructed the same bar as the plans you showed. It was very fun to break out the ole wood working skills again. 5 years ago it held empty beer cans and such but now it holds all my beer making supplies. Lol

The plans are great, I plan on using them for the majority of the build, but I am going to upgrade the top and face of the bar. The plans are more of a budget build.

Finally got the stuff I was waiting for in the mail! The first picture is the outlet that will be hidden behind the bar cable, hdmi, and left and right speaker jacks(wire runs through the ceiling in the last pic if I want to install speakers in the future) the second picture is behind the tv cable and hdmi coming in from the bar. Hopefully I can finish drywall this weekend and start spackling, not looking forward to being covered in dust!

ForumRunner_20130126_111421.jpg

ForumRunner_20130126_111433.png

ForumRunner_20130126_111447.png

Nice work to the both of you.

Mr. and Mrs. Hungry4hops? I guess the couple that brews together, stays together.

Nice work to the both of you.

Mr. and Mrs. Hungry4hops? I guess the couple that brews together, stays together.

Ha ha nice! I usually do all the brewing myself, but she does help me drink it!
And she helps with labels!

IMHO, drywall spackling is by far my least favorite house project I've done. And I renovated a 1928 house. You get mad props for doing that. If I ever put up new sheetrock again, I'm going to use the joints as part of the decoration. If you lived anywhere near me, I'd drop off a couple brews to get you through the tough times.

IMHO, drywall spackling is by far my least favorite house project I've done. And I renovated a 1928 house. You get mad props for doing that. If I ever put up new sheetrock again, I'm going to use the joints as part of the decoration. If you lived anywhere near me, I'd drop off a couple brews to get you through the tough times.

i couldnt agree more and thanks for the offer. the worst part is that its been cold here and the spackle is taking way longer to dry in between than normal. so its pretty much a wating game.

When we bought our house the walls were covered in random triangles! The old owner told us at settlement that one night she was drinking wine & decided to redecorate, she took down pictures, did awful spackling then painted random shapes to cover up the spackle & decided she liked it, so she continued painting them all over the house! Last night we officially got rid of the last of the triangles finally!!

ForumRunner_20130201_143645.png

Ack!!!....flooring. I did the flooring in my 1200 sqft basement, and on my first floor too. The only thing I remember was the the knees, the back, and all the Ibuprufen.......

Looking great though!

Ok finally got the flooring finished! Brought down the kegerator and started framing out the base for the bar! Probably go get plywood one day this week to start putting the bar together!

ForumRunner_20130210_112801.png

Back