You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When SWMBO asks, "So were you drinking beer, mead or wine?" when she notices how happy you are. Haha, she forgot about the cider.

When you bring your fermenter in to your daughter's room so your beer can here the bedtime story

When you put your fermentor in your room and place a blow off tube on and the blurb blurb of the bubbling puts you to sleep.

When you spot a crate of malted pancake flour in the kitchen at work and begin devising a way to make a brew with it in one of those "worst case scenarios". Post-Collapse Pancake Brew anyone?

Then,the comp room starts turning into a make-shift man cave...Couldn't be me,no not me...
11.jpg

When you wake up with a spring in your step because you got all the wine racked over last night AND the lager is bubbling away nicely in the basement area.

When you discover the hard way that Pyrex jugs aren't meant to go directly onto the stovetop, and explode into a thousand pieces.

ArnooBrew said:
When you discover the hard way that Pyrex jugs aren't meant to go directly onto the stovetop, and explode into a thousand pieces.

Is this true? I have been heating my pyrex Flask on the stove for yeast starters. Is that a no-no??

Is this true? I have been heating my pyrex Flask on the stove for yeast starters. Is that a no-no??
i've heard that electric elements are a no-go with pyrex, but gas stoves are OK. i've boiled my starters directly in my pyrex* flask on my gas stove with no problems.

ArnooBrew, did you use an electric stove?

* correction: borosilicate glass... thanks GotPushrods.

Pyrex is a brand name, it doesn't necessarily mean the item is made of borosilicate glass. The lab-grade stuff (i.e. your flask) almost always is. If you do a search here for "Pyrex borosilicate" you should find lots of info. It's probably good to know for sure, we don't want any 3rd degree burn pics!

When your Fridge or fridges start looking like a forensics lab, due to all the jars and test tubes of washed yeast you may or may not use, but can't seem to part with any of it.

twalte said:

Completely true, mate. Google "Pyrex explode" and read lots of similar stories to mine.

Pyrex can apparently handle going into the oven, but not going directly onto the stovetop. The thermal stress is too much for it.

I was just heating a small volume of water on my gas stovetop, to sterilise and then chill, so I could hydrate finings for my fermenter.

The explosion was unbelievable. I figure that this experience qualifies me as a homebrewer. I'm sure many other homebrewers have made this mistake.

I regularly boil my flasks on the stove top (though I start with the flame very low and gradually increase it), and move it right from boiling to an ice bath. Never had an issue. A decent borosilicate flask should be able to handle that, as that's pretty much the kind of use they can expect to get in a lab. Reasons for failure are usually that it's too thin/poor quality, that it's a different kind of glass, (quite commonly) that the flask has been damaged - however slightly - and thus compromised, or even when they're heated without water.

When you drive by a Goodwill store and decide to stop and peruse the kitchen section looking for potential brewing parts.... (guilty...first time shopping in a Goodwill but did not find anything)

When you cruise goodwill & salvation army this time of year for beer glasses. Come warm weather,the flea market. I got 2 antique pilsner glasses that way. Then a third one. Tryin to get these old bones in better shape for all that searchin this spring. Gunna get a fancy lookin DIY cabinet for the man cave come tax time for glasses & dry brewing stuff.

Completely true, mate. Google "Pyrex explode" and read lots of similar stories to mine.

Pyrex can apparently handle going into the oven, but not going directly onto the stovetop. The thermal stress is too much for it.

I was just heating a small volume of water on my gas stovetop, to sterilise and then chill, so I could hydrate finings for my fermenter.

The explosion was unbelievable. I figure that this experience qualifies me as a homebrewer. I'm sure many other homebrewers have made this mistake.

My wife had a Pyrex dish blow up the same way. She was heating it up because the dirctions said to warm the dish. I still have burn spots on the kitchen floor 10 feet from the stove.

I managed to blow up a cup of water. I was making tea the easy way. Stuck the cup in the microwave for a couple minutes. It didn't boil. So I microwaved it again. Still didn't boil. Ok, it's got to be hot enough. Took the cup out, dropped the tea bag in. Boom. Most of the water instantly turned to steam.

It blew the cup off the counter, didn't break it. The tea bag went up into the air and somehow managed to land in the trash can. Scorched my face, and sprayed water all over the ceiling.

That was one of the most bizarre things that has ever happened to me.

I managed to blow up a cup of water. I was making tea the easy way. Stuck the cup in the microwave for a couple minutes. It didn't boil. So I microwaved it again. Still didn't boil. Ok, it's got to be hot enough. Took the cup out, dropped the tea bag in. Boom. Most of the water instantly turned to steam.

It blew the cup off the counter, didn't break it. The tea bag went up into the air and somehow managed to land in the trash can. Scorched my face, and sprayed water all over the ceiling.

That was one of the most bizarre things that has ever happened to me.
It's rare, I've only ever been on the very edge of it, but as you experienced, it IS possible to superheat water in a microwave - that is, heat it above boiling temperature without actually boiling. The slightest disruption will instantly set off the phase change (liquid -> steam) rather violently. You're probably lucky you got it out of the microwave and set down on the counter before it erupted in your hand.

Yeah. I still heat water in the microwave, even in the same cups, but I drop a toothpick in first. That way there are nucleation points for the bubbles.

Your drinking a cup of tea and can't help but wonder what it would taste like if you made kombucha from this spearmint-chamomile tea instead of black or green tea.

emjay said:
You go into a store for the sole purpose of buying beer, and walk out empty-handed.

....on a regular basis. You've convinced yourself that maybe this time they'll have something I'll enjoy.

When you swear off drinkin till the weekend to give the old bones a break before they get too brittle & break. Just give me Friday......Friday night. Wednesdays go so slow,& thursdays I don't know.:ban: Got friday on my mind...

When gearing up for the switch to all grain, you tell your wife

"we need a new cooler, the plug somehow came out the old one and has a pipe in it"

"Look hun, a turkey fryer"..."no we need at least a 10 gallon one"..."I don't know why, we just do"

And you make regular trips to goodwill because you just know someone will donate a giant stock pot eventually.

When you make friends with someone only because they have hops growing on the side of their garage and you want to use them to get at the fresh hops.

You want to install a night vision webcam in your fermentation chamber so you can watch your beer ferment from work.

When your breath catches in your throat watching athletes douse their coaches with 10 gallon Igloos because in your mind it could very likely be filled with scalding hot mash!

PhelanKA7 said:
When your breath catches in your throat watching athletes douse their coaches with 10 gallon Igloos because in your mind it could very likely be filled with scalding hot mash!

This is me!

Latest posts

Back