What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More brown than black IPA homebrew

image-2806719525.jpg

nukebrewer said:
Now this is some good stuff. Kept seeing it around here, but couldn't get it in CT. Now I am in Texas and it was the first thing I grabbed.
Personal favorite
Qhrumphf said:
Is it really that good? I haven't had that one, but even the Lips of Faith beers I've tried from them I've found really meh.

It really is. It's the only beer I like from them and it's damn good. The large dose of Simcoe plays nice with the Belgian yeast phenolics. You will like.

nukebrewer said:
Just got into Houston and the first stop I made was Spec's (liquor store). So now I am just working with what I've got until some of the Spec's haul chills down.

Welcome down. Spec's is a adult Disneyland. Wait till you go down to the downtown one. It's 10x bigger than the one in the woodlands. Lots of goodies there.

Now this is some good stuff. Kept seeing it around here, but couldn't get it in CT. Now I am in Texas and it was the first thing I grabbed.

Very good Belgian IPA. One of my faves. :mug:

Got to partake is a Westy XII this evening at a home brew club meeting. Pretty good stuff, I don't get the hype though. It's a great quad, but just that, nothing else.

HPIM1664.jpg

Now I'm cleaning out the fridge of the beers that'd made it to the back row. Love Torpedo, but this time of year, it's an easy one to overlook. Luckily I have a few more to remind me how much I like it.

As a DIPA this is pretty disappointing, which sucks double because Hopadillo (they're IPA) is so good. There's virtually no hop aroma even after a good swirling. The bitterness is there, but it's not very strong and I am not getting any hop flavor. Maybe I'm just stressed out from being arrested this morning, but I don't think so.

20121220_215000.jpg

Got to partake is a Westy XII this evening at a home brew club meeting. Pretty good stuff, I don't get the hype though. It's a great quad, but just that, nothing else.

I've never tried it, but I don't understand the hype either. I mean, I'm sure it's good and all but for $85 a sixer it better perform favors of an unmentionable nature after I drink each bottle.

this:

Blank white snow stuff, its the end of the world drink and all that. Supercheezy too. Youll never be able to obtain it,ever. Its like whitewash in your face and will never be choked down. Just all over your face and not in your mouth,slightly gaging maybe,never down the gullet. +1 your mom.

Maybe I'm just stressed out from being arrested this morning, but I don't think so.

If I had a nickel for everytime I said that...

I'm drinking a winter brew from Petrus. It's pretty good. Although I don't really know why I bought it. Don't care for the style all too much.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
I'm going to be brewing a clone in a few days. It will be like the real Westy, except better and mine will cost about $50 for a 6 gallon batch.

bottlebomber said:
I'm going to be brewing a clone in a few days. It will be like the real Westy, except better and mine will cost about $50 for a 6 gallon batch.

Then it won't be as good as the real thing everybody knows the more expensive the beer the better. Right?.......

I must have missed something.. Say what now?

Yeah, I got arrested this morning! I'm a hardened criminal now. Apparently it's not cool to try and get a throwing star through a TSA security checkpoint. Thing is, I completely forgot it was in my backpack and what usually happens in this situation is you say, "hey, my bad, keep the throwing star" and go about your business. But noooooooo. The TSA agent called the state police and after they interviewed me they determined I posed zero threat, which they relayed to their superiors and they were ready to let me go about my business. But apparently while this interview was going on the TSA dick who found it took a picture of the throwing star and sent it to mother f***ing Washington, D.C. so the head of TSA could look at it and give his opinion. So this prick says that something must be done which forces the cops' collective hand into arresting me as a formality and charging me with 'Tampering with airport security.' According to the arresting officer most cases like this get thrown out, so fingers crossed. Anyway, that's that story, back to drinking beer! :mug:

WesleyS said:
That's a great beer!
It really is. I have one more left after this, I'm gonna save it. I want to find a clone recipe.
WesleyS said:
Then it won't be as good as the real thing everybody knows the more expensive the beer the better. Right?.......
No siree, my homebrew tastes like it was brewed by the Son of Man.

Man Nuke that sucks. Hopefully you can get it taken care of quickly and there won't be some obnoxious fine they pack you with.

Yeah, I got arrested this morning! I'm a hardened criminal now. Apparently it's not cool to try and get a throwing star through a TSA security checkpoint. Thing is, I completely forgot it was in my backpack and what usually happens in this situation is you say, "hey, my bad, keep the throwing star" and go about your business. But noooooooo. The TSA agent called the state police and after they interviewed me they determined I posed zero threat, which they relayed to their superiors and they were ready to let me go about my business. But apparently while this interview was going on the TSA dick who found it took a picture of the throwing star and sent it to mother f***ing Washington, D.C. so the head of TSA could look at it and give his opinion. So this prick says that something must be done which forces the cops' collective hand into arresting me as a formality and charging me with 'Tampering with airport security.' According to the arresting officer most cases like this get thrown out, so fingers crossed. Anyway, that's that story, back to drinking beer! :mug:

after reading this, my only woe was it was too cold to brew and use my new belma hops, so all in all, i have no room to complain at all :D

Limited release hop back from tree brewing local brewery, we got an ipa, douple ipa and black ipa. Cant wait do crack these open

image-4012958941.jpg

My wife has a bad habit doing that. Fortunately she always notices while in line, surrenders ahead of time, and never been an issue beyond that. But we've lost a handful of really nice knives that way. And a couple cans of mace.

Saw a guy get the Full On Shakedown after the explosive swab hit on his backpack. Dude was like "I use it as a range bag." Oh **** they think, now he's got explosive residue (gunpowder) and talking about guns." He was abruptly taken to a undisclosed room where it got real stupid I'm sure.

Saw some one-tooth overall wearing bumpkin get tossed for the same thing. He was a farmer. The guy tried to explain it was fertilizer that tripped the machine but no avail. I'm sure they threw his bags out on the tarmac and let the dogs chew them to pieces.

I hate flying.

Man Nuke that sucks. Hopefully you can get it taken care of quickly and there won't be some obnoxious fine they pack you with.

Well it made me miss my flight, so that was $700 that could have been better spent on brewing equipment/ingredients. If the charge sticks, I'm not sure what the maximum penalty is, but based on the circumstances I doubt I'll feel the full force of the law.

NB Caribou Slobber out of keg ( first time kegging) while racking to secondary and dry hopping. Not a bad night!

My wife has a bad habit doing that. Fortunately she always notices while in line, surrenders ahead of time, and never been an issue beyond that. But we've lost a handful of really nice knives that way. And a couple cans of mace.

Damn, that sucks. I hate giving up nice knives. I've had to do it before and it never feels good.

highgravitybacon said:
Saw a guy get the Full On Shakedown after the explosive swab hit on his backpack. Dude was like "I use it as a range bag." Oh **** they think, now he's got explosive residue (gunpowder) and talking about guns." He was abruptly taken to a undisclosed room where it got real stupid I'm sure.

Saw some one-tooth overall wearing bumpkin get tossed for the same thing. He was a farmer. The guy tried to explain it was fertilizer that tripped the machine but no avail. I'm sure they threw his bags out on the tarmac and let the dogs chew them to pieces.

I hate flying.

Our government is out of control. They don't give a **** about our safety! It's all about oppressing the masses.

I hate flying.

I could go on a long rant about what I went through and the absurdity of it all, but perhaps in another thread. I'm on vacation so I just want to go back to drinking beer. :mug:

So.... are you now like on a "watch out for this guy who thinks he's a ninja" list or something? That's nuts, glad they figured out that you're just a harmless drunk..... er beer geek. Enjoy Tejas, great place to visit, I have fam in Houston and Dallas. Make sure to check out any Southern Star and Jester King brews you find, I've heard that (512) is great as well. Oh and St. Arnold's.... PM me, I can probably give you a list of must trys.

Just finished up a bottle of 2011 Abyss Reserve. Quite tasty!

I hope you choked on it. ;) :mug:

Dunno how da fuq this thing has been hiding in my kegerator for a year.

HPIM1665.jpg

Going by the BB date, this is last year's bottle. Faded but still very good. Dark fruits and mocha like flavors with a firm bitterness that really lingers. Surprisingly there's still citrus and pine like aroma and flavors too. Still pretty nice, I suspect being cold (~40F) all this time helped.

Back