Any suggestions for cleaning the ceiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogDaddy

Reaction score
Yes, I had quite the little volcano in the middle of the night. I'm still new to all of this as this was only my 4th batch. I've never used a blow off tube (i will from now until eternity) and I've never had this happen. This is an extract kit with estimated 8% ABV. Is this is the reason it has so much more pressure? I've never experienced this with any other batch.

It's actually foaming so heavily that I can't even put the air lock in for fear of another gusher. I currently just have the stopper loosely stuck in the top with the foam escaping from the hole for the air lock.

I would like to try a blow off tube and wait to see if i've ruined the batch. I have a 6.5 Better Bottle, what size plastic tube do I need?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Pics or it didn't happen.... kidding! It's happened to all of us.

I believe that 1/2" tubing fits over the stem of the airlock, after you remove the airlock cap and inner thingy. I recall taking an airlock to the hardware store so I could be sure - you should probably do the same since my memory is problematic. Run the tubing down into a jug of Star-San or equivalent. Good luck!

Yes, I had quite the little volcano in the middle of the night. I'm still new to all of this as this was only my 4th batch. I've never used a blow off tube (i will from now until eternity) and I've never had this happen. This is an extract kit with estimated 8% ABV. Is this is the reason it has so much more pressure? I've never experienced this with any other batch.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Higher ABV beers mean more sugar to start with which yeast will eat up more quickly, so they release more CO2 which caused your issue. Even for my lower gravity beers, I use a blow off for the first few days, just in case.

For the ceiling try some OxiClean, or while you are at the store getting your tubing, pick up some paint.....:ban:

Crap. I just remembered that I forgot to put a blow-off tube on my chocolate Oatmeal porter! I pitched onto the past batch's yeast cake. I better go look. Brewed it last Friday. It's probably coated the inside of the fridge by now!

Pics or it didn't happen.... kidding! It's happened to all of us.

I believe that 1/2" tubing fits over the stem of the airlock, after you remove the airlock cap and inner thingy. I recall taking an airlock to the hardware store so I could be sure - you should probably do the same since my memory is problematic. Run the tubing down into a jug of Star-San or equivalent. Good luck!

The only problem with this method is the ID of the airlock inlet tube is very small and can get clogged up before ever reaching the 1/2" tubing. I prefer a bung with hole lage enough to insert 1/2" tubing inside. Have no idea what size, I just took a little bit of tubing to LHBS and tried till one fit.......

Assuming your ceiling is of the white plaster variety, use a 1:1 solution of clorox and water in a spray bottle. I have used this several times to clean a brewing explosion similar to yours; kids thinking it would be fun to shake up a can of coke and pull the cap; and a few other ways that you wouldn't believe for a ceiling to get dirty.

Thanks for the advice folks :mug:

I stopped by Lowe's on the way home for lunch, picked up a piece of clear tubing with a 1-5/8" O.D., removed the bung, plugged the tubing in and dropped it in a bucket of star san and water. After a few minutes she started bubbling away again. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back