Ball valves weldless/welded

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebhomey

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been threaded to death.. but i couldnt find anything last time i looked. Here is the question. i have two legally aquired kegs. i have weldless fittings (ball valves) on them now and i dont like all the leftovers in the bottom of the kegs when they are drained. does anyone have a link to good ss weld valves? and what do you weld to the kegs? couplers?? threaded couplers right???
i have no idea please help.. thanks

What do you mean leftovers? How will a welded valve drain differently than a weldless. I just built a keggle and used a weldless bulkhead and have seen no problems... can you clarify?

i guess what im unsure about is a "dip tube" from the bulkhead to the bottom of the keg. what do you use? i could sweat a copper tube and 90 degree turn... i guess im unsure about how to get all the water/mash out of the bottom of the keg...
i figured if i welded a valve to the bottom of the keg i could get around some of these issues..???????

I built a dip tube from a small piece of copper tubing and a simple compression fitting. I bent the copper tube on a 30 deg angle to reach the bottom center of the keggle. I simply turn the nut for the weldless fitting on the outside of the keggle to adjust the height of the tube. It works sweet, and still allows you to use the depression in the center of the keggle to collect your trub... nice eh? I will post a pic in a few minutes of mine...

that looks nice... do you use a false bottom or one of those strainer tubes?
i guess you just bend the copper in place and take it out for cleaning??
thanks for the pics

I dont take the tube out for cleaning... I simply wash down the inside of the keggle and use high pressure water and blast it in reverse through the ball valve to flush out the tube. Here is a link to my photobucket site, you have to see my system. I use a double 10 gallon cooler system with a SS false bottom. I have through the wall digital therms and a sparge arm. This is my dream system, I know, simple, but it really is.

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/

Back