Any thoughts on Procon Pumps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are usually intended for high pressure applications like post-mix soda fountains. I have several, and the high pressure models (250 psi) achieve some pretty high flow rates when you trade pressure for volume. I don't think they're made for high temperature situations, and they don't "throttle" well (you'll build some really high line pressure if you attempt to restrict the flow). FYI, I use them to drive water coolers for welding torches. With a reservoir of several gallons, the coolant temp remains well below 100°F.

You're better off with a mag drive pump for most brew house fluid transfers.

So what you are telling me is that if I get them, I send them to you and maybe a few dollars and I can score me one of those fancy conicals?

:D

I have a series 3 in stainless with adjustable pressure relief set at 32 psi on my Tig welder the last 17 trouble free years. I can adjust from zero to 250 plus psi. I wonder what they want for that Procon magnetic drive pump? I bet in stainless it's a lot more than a March pump besides they do not like to be run dry at all. I have one spare motor with pump attached to a carbonator tank system, I recall it was pressure set at 180 psi this also has a adjustable pressure relief stainless Procon pump. I was told by a Procon rep years ago to keep the pump wet inside and the pumped fluid and seal under 200*F for maximum pump and seal life besides setting the pump pressure at the minimum pressure for the application. With this setup it would last many years, so far he is correct and now retired. This motor with pump for the Tig has a 12" square 3 row AC condenser with fan shroud and fan motor total cost $30 years ago as a whole unit. Just added a two gallon plastic lab tank, hoses, flow sight unit, fittings and pressure gauge. This sure beat the snot out of the asking price of Millers cooling towers back then. My friend spent $85 to have his stainless Procon pump rebuilt by Procon, shipping was included in the $85 four years ago. It is basically brand new as was mine and trouble free. Just don't run any grit or run 'em dry. A March would be a far better pump for brewing.

If you can get them cheap I bet there would be buyers on the www.millerwelds.com welding forum under the Ask Andy section wanting to build their own Tig coolers.

Back