kegerator build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srehal

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the following mini fridge by GE and was wondering if it would be big enough for 1 cornie keg and CO2 tank with regulator. I have not purchased the keg/tank yet but from my research I think it will fit. The fridge also has an electronic thermostat located at front,top area, so I might not be able to get a tower and tap line through there. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.geappliances.ca/jsp/ge_R...model_id=62132&product_id=40626&photo=Y&line=

Measure the height of the interior and report back. I think you need 26".

It is 28.5 inches high on the inside

Yeah for a ball lock keg with hose hooked up you need 26" height. You should be fine with a keg and a 5 lb co2 tank. There is an outside chance of fitting two kegs in there.

Cool...not sure whether I should put in a tower with taps or drill thru the wall with a faucet tap.Is it easy to drill through it?

The wall might have lines through it that you could break (roof possibly as well). Be careful with drilling. Drill the hole in the outer metal wall first and then look around inside before going through to the inner wall. I would do a tower just because it would look better. You could dress up the keg or put a cover on it to showcase it through the door.

Is there any way to find out if there are any lines without drilling? The side walls are warm to the touch but the roof does not.

Most people drill through the top because the top rarely has lines in it for mini fridges. At least the ones that are popular for turning into kegerators.

However, to check for refrigerant lines:

Mix up some corn starch and vodka and "paint" it onto the fridge. If there are refrigerant lines, the heat will cause the vodka to evaporate leaving a line of the corn starch. Probably the easiest way that I can think of.

I just kegged a batch into a cornelius keg...but had difficulty in attaching the lid securely. I put the beer in and turned keg upside down (probably not a good idea) to make sure that it was airtight but some beer did leak out. I reseated the lid a couple of times. What is the best method of doing this?

Back