NOW I find this subforum...lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahahb

Reaction score
I've been gathering bits of info via Google and not once knew this site had a subforum just for growing hops.

Just finished my support structure and planted 4 hops today. 2 chinook and 2 cascade. I'm in eastern NC. Hope they work out ok. I noticed some hairy like mold on one of them prior to planting.

Had some fence post lying around and I needed it to be cheap so this cost me less than 20 bucks for the hardware and concrete. Just had to weld a little bit and drill some holes.

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

ForumRunner_20110410_204234.jpg

ForumRunner_20110410_204309.jpg

It's 20' tall. And it wasn't too bad. There are 3 sections. The bottom, is the widest and is about 8' tall. The middle section is about 8' too. It's o.d. is slightly smaller, and it fits down inside the bottom. The top portion is even smaller and fits inside the middle section. The way I had to put it up was to leave the top and middle section extended(secured by a 1/2" bolt that slides through both poles), and walk it to upright. Then, standing on the tailgate of a truck, lift the whole thing up about 18" to fit over a pole I had cemented in the ground(same size o.d. as the middle pole). I then simply extended the top/middle poles out of the bottom pole and had my g/f stick the bolt through once I lined the holes up. Make sense?

I'll just reverse the assembly when it comes time to harvest. I hope it goes that easy. :)

If its not to late might i sugest some pulleys and longer rope? I mean why work hard when you dont have to.

Yeah, it's too late, lol. Once I was done, I said "that's it for this year". What would longer rope provide me? I've already planted the rhizomes btw.

Longer rope goes with the pulleys. so all you have to do at harves is lower the rope and bines come down. I just implemented that this year and am loving it so far. Of course i just tied 29 ropes 2day no ladder needed just lowered the cable down measuerd and tied all looks good.

I will be using the pulley method as well but mine will be running up the side of the house. I agree, why work harder if you don't have to.

beerloaf.

Once that has hops hanging from it, the assembly may be too heavy to handle. That just means you would have to cut them down.

My concern is the lack of guy wires. The guy that started me growing showed me how his metal bar trellis snapped in a heavy wind and smashed the front window of his car. Beyond that I wish I had 20 feet for my hops to grow.

In wind, the pole itself is pretty aerodynamic being round and all. It's pretty darn solid and hopefully I didn't overestimate its strength. IF it does fall, at least it won't hit anything worthwhile.

Longer rope goes with the pulleys. so all you have to do at harves is lower the rope and bines come down. I just implemented that this year and am loving it so far. Of course i just tied 29 ropes 2day no ladder needed just lowered the cable down measuerd and tied all looks good.

I've read about scenarios where the bines get stuck in the pulleys, then you can't lower them. How do you avoid that, or have you not had a problem with it?

My setup has only 1 pulley. 2 posts 45' apart one has the cabel permanently attached the other post has a pulley and rope. I can lower the whole thing from 1 end. I attached all ropes to it yesterday there are 27 hops plants in that run. Gotta get another pole and pulley setup for the other side 12 plants there. will post pics when i get my pos computer to accept the memory card from my camera.

Thanks for the tips, I would also really like to see those pics tchuk. I am planting four rhizomes shortly.

Beerloaf, how did you secure yours to your roofline/house?

In wind, the pole itself is pretty aerodynamic being round and all. It's pretty darn solid and hopefully I didn't overestimate its strength. IF it does fall, at least it won't hit anything worthwhile.

It's not so much that the pole is aerodynamic it's the weight of the plants, the plants are growing on an angle putting torque on the base of the pole, the hops will bush out a bit making a small sail. So then when the wind is blowing in the same direction as the pull on the pole from the hops that's when you have issues. If you really geek out like I did you can draw a free body diagram to show all this visually and do the calculations, it gives you a better idea of what you are up against.

Or he can run a rope down the other side as an anchor. If that is staked in properly it will eliminate the aformentioned small sail problem.

Or he can run a rope down the other side as an anchor. If that is staked in properly it will eliminate the aformentioned small sail problem.

Hence, effectively a guy wire. Securing the setup would probably be a good idea, just to be safe. Wouldn't want those guys struck down in their prime by some rogue June wind storm.

I'll consider the guy wire but if I need a tailgate to stand on, lol. If not this year, I'll chance it and wait til next year.

Got back from my vacation today, and noticed my 2 cascades have broken ground!! :D

Back