Timing question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesnj

Reaction score
Ok so my beer has been in the primary for a week now and I plan on transferring to secondary. Now I know that it's generally advised against and I realize it's not necessary since I'm not adding any fruit. Mainly I'm doing it for two reasons:

1. I want to start making the irish stout asap and leave that cooking in the primary for at least a month.

2. I want the experience of doing it now so I'm not worried about it when I'm making a more experience brew. This is my first batch so I'm not worried so much about messing it up. I'd hate to mess up somewhere down the line.

Ok so I plan on making a trip probably the 24-30th of this month...Now I want to have the stout settled in the primary without risk of blowoff and the ale safe in secondary....I've seen people say it's safe in the primary for a month or more and to transfer to secondary for 2 weeks.

So I have a couple of options of what to do and I'm not sure which I should do. Basically I'm going to take a second SG (first was 1.020, kit says 1.016-1.019) tomorrow to make sure it didn't change and if it hasn't I'll transfer to the 5 gallon carboy...Then I'll cook the stout and throw that in there and let it sit 4 weeks in primary before bottling Feb 17....Definitely want that ready to go by St. Patty's...Ok, for my beer in primary should I:

Leave in secondary until the 24th of this month, bottle before I leave....

or Leave in secondary until I get back and then bottle.....

The plus of the first option is I can bring a six pack to my parents during my trip...So I'd like to do that if it's safe...

Sorry for the long post to ask a simple question...

If you bottle on the 24th to take a six pack to your parents, it will still need at least 3 weeks to properly carbonate. So that isnt a problem if you arent planning on drinking the six pack with your parents. But if you do plan on drinking it with them plan on it being under carbed... I would say go ahead and bottle and leave the beer for your parents to enjoy in a month or so.

I've been known to start drinking mine a week after bottling. The only one I have had that didnt taste good because it was flat was a honey porter. That one took a whopping 2 weeks. "Properly carbonated" is in the opinion of the drinker. I actually like to drink them as they change so I can taste whats going on.

I completely agree. 3 weeks to properly carbonate is an over-generalization. I agree, to think charles will be enjoying his first homebrew with the folks is pretty much out of the question, they may enjoy the spoils shortly after he leaves.

I always sample after a week, if for no better reason, because I can't wait. Most times it's a little flat, but I, like mixedbrewer, like to see it evolve. 2 weeks is usually more than enough time for carbonation. You may find, however, some beers will need time to.......... whatever. The fact that you mention using fruit, sometimes flavored beers take longer to, for a lack of a better term, mellow. Strong flavors fade, weak flavors emerge, etc. Some beers are what they are, most evolve over time.

That being said, I like and dislike your logic about transferring. The experience factor makes sense, but....... If it turns out badly, how do you know if the mistake was before or after the transfer? I would minimize the variables, and bottle the first. If it turns out good, which I'm sure it will, great. If not, you know that the problem was not transfer related. Make another of the same and transfer. Compare, learn. That's one of the great things about homebrewing.

That being said, I like and dislike your logic about transferring. The experience factor makes sense, but....... If it turns out badly, how do you know if the mistake was before or after the transfer? I would minimize the variables, and bottle the first. If it turns out good, which I'm sure it will, great. If not, you know that the problem was not transfer related. Make another of the same and transfer. Compare, learn. That's one of the great things about homebrewing.

Do you mean I should bottle now?

You could, if your SG says it's ready. You could still wait a few days, bottle, and bring along and enjoy at the end of your stay.

Back