Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it looks like it in the picture. Never noticed until you said something. The shelves are held with 8 screws each so I don't think it's going anywhere. I guess it would be wise to find out the weight limitations of the rack. :D

Most network racks can hold 1000-1500 lbs, so you're OK there. I guess the real holding capability comes down to the individual shelves. In addition, you need to factor in weakening due to heat.

I don't think you can get any more efficient in your space usage than the setup you have here. When not being used, your rack fits nicely in less than a 24" by 24" square.

There's a lot of potential for different ways you could configure a network rack to be used as a brew tree. You could even turn the rack sideways and have shelves off-set with one kettle on the left and one on the right. I think with any off-set weighting you'd want to bolt the base though. I think there's a lot of flexibility in this and more people should look at these. They're cheap too!

With christmas coming up, I look forward to seeing what everyone gets. I'm sure there will be some nice new eye candy getting posted.

Looks good. I looked at a few more of your pics, and saw your old school fridge with the keg in it...you oughta convert that thing into an official kegerator!! I have a similar one, with separate fridge/freezer doors:
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=38624&cat=all&ppuser=59428
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=39617&cat=all&ppuser=59428

I am unable to open the pics. Firefox redirects to "www.jdoqocy.com." and will not open page. Am I alone with this issue?

No, it works for me. However, I am having other issues with Firefox...for example, I can't bookmark anything.

I am unable to open the pics. Firefox redirects to "www.jdoqocy.com." and will not open page. Am I alone with this issue?

I am having the same issue. Trunkate the URL as it opens in your browser- cut off that first address and make it start with the "http://pulse.yahoo....."

Now that I know I can fit 3 kegs in the fridge it's getting taps and a paint job... I;ll keep ya all posted on progress..

Not a fancy rig, but it works. The cart is from Harbor Freight. It has storage down below and also under the tile top:
DSC_0030.jpg

Inside of my HLT. I use a 1000 watt bucket heater to keep water warm. I use the propane BK to initially heat it and pump it to the HLT where the bucket heater maintains the temp. The bucket heater will heat to >160F (I have done so quite a few times), it just takes an hour. These Coleman Bev Coolers also have nice markings in US gallons and liters:
DSC_0035.jpg

I use a bag and the SS basket instead of a false bottom:
DSC_0036.jpg

Recirc Return/Sparge Arm:
DSC_0037.jpg

SS valves and Camlocks:
DSC_0040.jpg

My pump is over 15yrs old, but brand new. I stopped brewing right after I bought it. I used it once last December. I bought it when I read an article in BYO, or BT or Zymurgy...can't remember which. It was about building a RIMS. I bought the same pump and speed controller they used (from Grainger)
DSC_0043.jpg

My Auber PID. This is a plug-n-play PID from Auber. I plug the probe into the valve on the MT that is in the first and fifth photo above:
DSC_0041.jpg

Simple DJ lighting control. Everything is plugged into a GFCI outlet:
DSC_0042.jpg

I used hangers that are used for hanging rakes and shovels in garages to hold the paddle:
DSC_0044.jpg

A simple RV filter and white potable water hose take care of the water supply:
DSC_0045-1.jpg

The BK is a 40qt and the burner says it is 90 or 100,000 BTU, can't remember which. It heats quickly. I am still waiting for my SS RIMS tube to come. It supposedly shipped on 29 Nov. I have a PVC tube for now which I have not used and don't plan to. Stay tuned for my final thoughts on the SS RIMS tube. Not pictured is my immersion chiller.

Peterbrau,

What's going on in that toolbox? I see a pump and a RIMS tube, but it's hard to tell if they're mounted or not and what the plumbing situation is. Can you post a closeup or a better description. Do you pull the RIMS out when in use?
LOL-Ok, the toolbox concept may need to be improved on. It does contain a RIMS tube and pump that is mounted inside the toolbox. There are quick fittings on the outside that hook up to the in/out of the MLT. I'll have to get some more pictures. My plan is to put all of this behind a stainless steel plate, plumb everything to a single panel that will let me "patch" using short stainless steel braid hoses.

Hello guys, sorry for the bad English, I write from Milan, Italy, this is my first post and the following photos are those of my system.
It is not yet complete but it works very well already.

93630469.jpg

81279801.jpg

50441117.jpg

79178249.jpg

Mash

49636805.jpg

transfer from mash to the boil, in the future I will use a pump

14296990.jpg

the sparge is not yet completed, I will in the future a fixed, so it's good enough for now

26674110.jpg

boiling

65125274.jpg

and cooling

32140540.jpg

I hope you like it, good beer for all

are you using gas burners indoors? How are you venting the CO?
i'm afraid to brew in my garage with the 18'-0 door halfway closed.

Hello guys, sorry for the bad English, I write from Milan, Italy, this is my first post and the following photos are those of my system.

What is the connection you've made with the SS hose braid and your 316 'T' in your lauter tun? I don't recognize the fitting, but looks way better than what I'm using! cheers!

Of course he's not scared, he's from Italy. Only us whiny coddled Americans are afraid of such things.

Amen brotha. I brew in my basement in a 17' x 8' finished room with a range hood vent without any issues whatsoever. Hell, we cook in our kitchens all the time without issues; why the big deal when brewing beer, as long as it's properly ventillated? :ban:

are you using gas burners indoors? How are you venting the CO2?
i'm afraid to brew in my garage with the 18'-0 door halfway closed.

When I beer I have 4 windows open in that space than a door that leads directly outdoors, and keep open all the time of the crush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Buzzer- View Post

What is the connection you've made with the SS hose braid and your 316 'T' in your lauter tun? I don't recognize the fitting, but looks way better than what I'm using! cheers!

A bit complicated to explain but simply as a system, the T is in stainless steel with a tube still several holes for the grape on which I have worn the jersey of the pipe-filter which I then stuck to the outside with a T Teflon self-built compass, tomorrow I'll do a drawing and place

Amen brotha. I brew in my basement in a 17' x 8' finished room with a range hood vent without any issues whatsoever. Hell, we cook in our kitchens all the time without issues; why the big deal when brewing beer, as long as it's properly ventillated? :ban:

yes but when i cook in my kitchen i'm using an electric stove, NOT 3 - 200000 btu turkey fryers......never used gas indoors you just hear horror stories of people using devices with combustable gas indoors and killing the entire family with carbon monoxide poisioning. I'm thinkin the wife would REALLY be pissed at my hobby if I did that :)

Just picked up some new stuff the other day, here's a pic of it sparging some Dunkelweizen. (pump not pictured, oops)

newsetup2s.jpg

I have a 82qt SS Bayou Blassic that I want to use in the future as a brew kettle. I see you use their pots for brewing. I have some questions if you don't mind.

Did you weld the valves or are the valves weldless?

How long have you been using the kettles and have you have any issues with them?

I guess I want to know if they are sturdy enough to do the job.

I bought the kettle a long time ago and have not modified it as a brew kettle yet. I was thinking about getting 2 beer kegs or 2 62 qt bayou classic kettles for my HLT and MLT and use the bigger for boiling the wort.

Anyways Thanks in advance. :mug:

OK this is the system I used to fix the pipe filter T 316, I hope it is clear.

bazooka.jpg

I have a 82qt SS Bayou Blassic that I want to use in the future as a brew kettle. I see you use their pots for brewing. I have some questions if you don't mind.

Did you weld the valves or are the valves weldless?

How long have you been using the kettles and have you have any issues with them?

I guess I want to know if they are sturdy enough to do the job.

I bought the kettle a long time ago and have not modified it as a brew kettle yet. I was thinking about getting 2 beer kegs or 2 62 qt bayou classic kettles for my HLT and MLT and use the bigger for boiling the wort.

Anyways Thanks in advance. :mug:

I'd love to hear your thoughts too...I"m weighing the keggle/bayou classic question, too...

I'd love to hear your thoughts too...I"m weighing the keggle/bayou classic question, too...

I can tell you about the 82qt pot. It is thicker than the 62qt, has a decent hard wall; although no as hard as a blichmann or polar ware pot but seems to me sturdy enough, the bottom is imo not as thick as the wall sides, the handles are riveted, I think it weights about 22 pounds. Overall a medium thickness pot with a lot of room to brew.

I got this pot because I wanted to brew 10 and even 15 gallons batches, I even emailed John Palmer before I bought it and he said it was fine to brew. I don't own or have any other Bayou Classic pots but I know that the 62 qt one has a smaller gauge thickness and I have not even seen a converted kegg so I can more or less compare. Either way my wife got me the pot for brewing and after seeing so many great looking Rigs here I thought either get 2 Beer kegs or 2 60qt or so stock pots to start my little project.

Imo you will get a good pot for brewing but not as good as a Blichmann or a Polar ware of course. If I had the money I'll be getting the Brew magic system or a kick ass Blichmann set up but hey I have to start somewhere. :mug:

You can check them out here: http://www.cozydays.com/search.asp?q=bayou+classic+stainless+steel+stockpots

I've never seen a pot that was anywhere near as thick as a keggle. That's why I'd rather have pots, the keggles weigh a ton and a half.

I've never seen a pot that was anywhere near as thick as a keggle. That's why I'd rather have pots, the keggles weigh a ton and a half.

So do you think keggles will use or need more gas to boil wort than a stock pot?.

BTW the 82qt Bayou Classic pot don't have the bottom clad sandwich that other stockpots have.

I have no idea, but I bet the gas usage is negligible. Your efficiency will depend much more on your burner arrangement than the vessel itself.

Speculation ahead:
I think the bottom skirt may help to trap a pocket of hot air that will reduce waste heat that would otherwise wash over the sides of a pot. However with proper burner spacing, sizing, and flame adjustment, a pot can be just as if not more efficient, but I guess that the skirt gives some forgiveness with poorly setup burners.

Oh and with a thin liquid like wort, you don't need the clad bottom.

Did my first autosparge batch today. That thing is the bees knees. If you have been thinking $50 was not worth it... Suck it up.

5d40978e.jpg

d893dda1.jpg

I make it a point to move the cart before the darts come out -- not so much because of the hoses, but i'd get tired of fishing darts out of my boil kettle. :cross:

Back