Type of wire for 5500w 240v element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomashp

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
By my calculations, a 5500W element at 240V will draw 23 amps or so at full load. That says I need some 10AWG wire. What kind of wire are you guys using? I'm thinking about just buying a nice 10 gauge extension cord and cutting it up. Is there some nicer rubber coated wire I should be using?

By my calculations, a 5500W element at 240V will draw 23 amps or so at full load. That says I need some 10AWG wire. What kind of wire are you guys using? I'm thinking about just buying a nice 10 gauge extension cord and cutting it up. Is there some nicer rubber coated wire I should be using?

You have all your numbers right. Well done.
The cable type depends on what you are doing. If this is an equipment cord (attaching to your element) you will need a rubber cord, like SJ or S. It may be called something like 10/3 SJOOW for example. If it is the cable feeding your outlet you can't use rubber. Here you'll need UF for example. The guys at HD or Lowes will know which type you need, most of the time anyway.

For each kettle I use 10 feet of Carol brand 10/3 wire (10 gauge, 3 wires), 300V, oil/water resistant, rubber coating, rated for outdoor use:

IMG_1565.jpg

Available at Home Depot.

I then purdy it up a bit with some heat shrink tubing, and expandable sleeving:

IMG_3580.jpg

Kal

For each kettle I use 10 feet of Carol brand 10/3 wire (10 gauge, 3 wires), 300V, oil/water resistant, rubber coating, rated for outdoor use:

IMG_1565.jpg

Available at Home Depot.

I then purdy it up a bit with some heat shrink tubing, and expandable sleeving:

IMG_3580.jpg

Kal

That is purdy, but IME nothing stays that purdy. I try to keep the equipment shiny (i.e., polished kegs), but use and age take their toll, and in the end you have to choose between utility and brew-fashion.

To quote our American poet laureate, Robert Frost:

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

I dunno, after almost 2 years of using it and dozens of brews, the wires, covers, boxes all look the same! The inside of the brew kettle's a bit tarnished (as expected) but mostly because I don't scrub it completely until it looks like new after each brew. I only use water and elbow grease. Then about once a year I recirculate hot PWB or oxyclean through it to give it a really good shine.

Kal

My cords stay filthy, even after hosing. That cord sheath looks like it would trap a lot of grime, but I'd give it try. mcmaster?
eBay. If you spill something on them it would most certainly be hard to clean. I've never spilt anything on them

When I clean my boil kettle I simply tilt it sideways into the sink and use the pre-rinse washing arm to scrub it clean. I don't clean the outside.

Kal

23 Amps, 10 AWG. 8 is over kill, unless the run is long (80ft+.)

Is 80ft too long for a 10 AWG wire to a garden-variety dryer, or should I go with 8 ? (trying to save $$ wiring it myself)...just trying to figure out where the cutoff is.

kappclark said:
Is 80ft too long for a 10 AWG wire to a garden-variety dryer, or should I go with 8 ? (trying to save $$ wiring it myself)...just trying to figure out where the cutoff is.

You can use this calculator from Southwire to approximate the voltage drop at your distance. I just did a rough calculation with 10 AWG wire at 240 volts and drawing 25 amps would allow a maximum run of around 137 feet to keep the voltage drop to under 3%. Feel free to play with the calculator but my estimations would be that the voltage drop at your distance would be negligible. You should be just fine.

Here's the link: http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/voltdrop.jsp

Thanks. I appreciate the advice, and the exact measurement comes in closer to 70', so I will feel safe with 10AWG.

Nice e-brewery project ...I will be interested in your venting solution

I just realized I had the wrong link in my above post, it should take you to the right page now, sorry about that!

And thanks for checking out my project, I will keep the thread updated as it progresses with plenty of pics. I close on my new home in three weeks so that's when the work begins!

Back