How To Store Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan99

Reaction score
I have 1 lb. of Progress hops on the way for a Hobgoblin clone. What is a good way to store the remainder without a vacuum sealer?

I usually just get those zip lock bags bags from the supermarket, compress all the air out, zip it up, store it in the fridge in the cheese compartment :)

:mug:

Kadmium said:
I usually just get those zip lock bags bags from the supermarket, compress all the air out, zip it up, store it in the fridge in the cheese compartment :)

:mug:
I agree except the hops need to go into the freezer.:mug:

Thanks for the suggestion Reverend but I'm sure I can find a better place.

So I am revamping this thread as I have some questions on this subject. How long will hops last in a ziploc bag in the freezer? Also, should I wrap a rubberband around the bags in order to further diminish the possibility of oxidization?

Find the smallest jar that can hold the hops and put 'em in there and into the freezer. I tend to leave them in their original bag too as I don't want to break them up and introduce air.

If someone had their butter ruined by the hops, it means there's air exchange going on with the bag. Glass works better.

I was wondering something like this. I got dragged to Kohls against my will and while trying to entertain myself found a half size vacuum sealer for 60 bucks. Will using plastic shorten the time over say paying some place to seal in the special airtight/light resistive packs?

Something I do with ziploc bags (never stored hops in them yet) is to insert a straw and suck out all of the air as I seal the bag.

So I am revamping this thread as I have some questions on this subject. How long will hops last in a ziploc bag in the freezer? Also, should I wrap a rubberband around the bags in order to further diminish the possibility of oxidization?
I have some that are two years old and still green and fresh looking.. You just have to keep in mind they lose potency over time so after a while you need to adjust for that.

Find the smallest jar that can hold the hops and put 'em in there and into the freezer. I tend to leave them in their original bag too as I don't want to break them up and introduce air.

Would it be ideal to vacuum seal the hops then place in a glass jar and store in the freezer? Or is this redundant? How much longer with hops last stored in the freezer as aopposed to refrigerator storage?

Thanks
axr

Would it be ideal to vacuum seal the hops then place in a glass jar and store in the freezer? Or is this redundant? How much longer with hops last stored in the freezer as aopposed to refrigerator storage?

Thanks
axr

Dunno. If it's a smaller jar, then it'll just have whatever O2 is in there already. I don't know about the freezer versus refrigerator. But most things that go bad or stale do so because of light, air and heat. I'd rather keep 'em in the freezer myself.

If you don't have a vaccum sealer use the redneck vaccum sealer.

The redneck vaccum sealer is a ziplock bag and a bucket of water. Put bag almost all the way in the water so the water pushes air out then seal (leave very top with seal out of the water obv).

Then store in freezer.

Get a real vacuum sealer, the cheap hand pump type available in the zip lock bag section of the store.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/VacuumFreezerSystem.aspx

Pull the air out and put them in the freezer. The ziplock bags hold the vacuum really well.

I gotta say these work like crap, in my opinion. I've never had a bag hold good vacuum.

I prefer the Alvin Vacuum Sealer.....$30 + some quart sized mason jars, put em in your freezer, and you're good for a year or more.

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Alvin-Vacuum-Sealer/

Don't store them next to butter. That is my 0.02 worth. SHMBO not best pleased when she went to make scones!

At first, I was like, "Who in the world has a wife who makes scones?" Then I realized where your from and then to myself I said, "Who in the world doesn't like hoppy butter?" :D

Actually scones sound nice right now. Mmmm... scones.

If they came in one of those foil packs, you can iron it closed and stick it in the freezer.

I will also answer the question with a question: Is protection from light important (or just o2)?

Back