Flavoring a Honey Ale? Or Lawnmower Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat in WV

Reaction score
My wife kinda likes SA Cherry Wheat, wanting to brew something for her...

I have two extract kits, and some extract flavorings. Let me know what you think might work, or not...

One kit is a Honey Ale, the other is a "Lawnmower" Lager. I am thinking of doing the Honey Ale with Blackberry and the Lager with Strawberry.

I intend to draw a measured sample from my secondary, prior to racking to bottling bucket, and putting a little in at a time to see how it flavors, then adding to the bottling bucket accordingly.

Do you think the Ale and Lager might work with these flavors, assuming they turn out ok on their own?

I'm sure this will get a variety of responses, but I appreciate any feedback or input from past experiences with similar...

You've got the right approach. Most fruit ales are way too fruity IMHO. Get an eye dropper that has volume markings on the sides, so you know how much you are adding.

the_bird said:
Before going any further, do you have the ability to do a true lager (cold conditioning for an extended period)?

Ability, I'm not sure...conditions, I think I do. Basement with right conditions and available space.

Fair enough.

As David says, sounds like a good approach. The only time I've done a fruit beer, I used real fruit, but that's such a PITA that next time (if there is one), it'll be extract. As long as you have a high-quality extract, you should be good, and the flavor pairings sound appropriate.

Back