Broke my Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanPDX

Reaction score
So I had just finished up an IPA last night, and was getting ready to pitch my yeast. I took out a sample and took a reading, and upon removing my hydrometer from the tube, the little sucker slipped out and smacked the counter, breaking the bottom tip. At least I got the reading before I broke it. Oh well, guess I am on my way to not being a noob anymore with that outta the way.

A container of garlic powder rolled out of my cupboard and smashed my hyrdrometer a couple weeks ago. It's a few more bucks to replace. All hobbies are supposed to cost money, right? :)

I just bought a refractometer for $28 on Ebay they are a bit more durable. Might wann go that route. Less of. Sample is what sold me.

Just don't use them to stir your wort! I learned that the hard way; the hydrometer was the only sterilised piece of equipment I had left and I didn't have any more iodophor mixed up (dumped it a few mins earlier without thinking). So I used the hydrometer, and it snapped off in my fingers and fell into the wort. Didn't die from drinking glass shards at least...

Man, bad day for hydrometers (and Charger fans :( ) yesterday. I broke mine as well brewing a Ruination clone....

I bought one at the LHBS getting my stuff to start brewing and last week I made an order to northernbrewer and said "hmm better grab a few spare hydrometers since they're so easy to break".

Broke the hydrometer I had LATER THAT DAY! Yeesh wish someone made one a little less... breakable

I was shaking the excess water off of mine (holding it by the narrow end of course) and the bottom half snapped off and shot half way across the room.

I am going to look into a refractometer instead.

So after reliving my broken hydrometer story earlier, I broke another one this evening. Given that, I went searching. I found another post that referenced these. The other posters had favorable reviews. The way I see it, if I break two more hydrometers, I have spent as much money as this. Given that, I am a soon to be proud owner of a refratometer
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-0-32-ATC-Br...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56386b1431

... I am a soon to be proud owner of a refratometer
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-0-32-ATC-Brix-Refractometer-Wine-Beer-CNC-Sugar_W0QQitemZ370313729073QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56386b1431

Just ordered this exact one last week. it was here in 3 or 4 days. Sturdy feeling and i feel for $30 it's more than what i will need.

I will put it to test on my next batch. But i am very happy with it so far.

Back